Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rescue on the cliffs in HPP
The man's body was seen yesterday and they saw he was deceased. The divers' tried to get his body but was unsuccessful.

Today there were several cars parked on the easements near C & L Rd where the fisherman was washed off the cliffs. His family were all congregated there. You could see the anguish they were going through.

The helicopters are still sweeping the coastline.
Coast Guard called of the search earlier tonight. So sad for his ohana.

Please be careful when venturing/fishing/opihi picking, etc., not just during oncoming storms but always.

Our Kupuna always taught us, "never turn your back on the ocean". FWIW.

Tragic. [V]

JMO.
What I don't understand is.. Why don't people wear floatation devices when fishing in dangerous areas?

Wouldn't be easier on the family to at least reçover the 'body'?...

Work..Consume...Obey - There's your meaning of life....
Probably, as most, thought "I'll be fine". More likely scenario: just trying to keep food on the table and could not afford a flotation device. Sad, indeed.

Community begins with Aloha
quote:
Originally posted by Tink

Probably, as most, thought "I'll be fine". More likely scenario: just trying to keep food on the table and could not afford a flotation device. Sad, indeed.

Community begins with Aloha

I've seen the trucks the fisherman drive down there to fish, "could not afford a flotation device" is unlikely. Those poles and reels aren't cheap either and a lot of guys fish with 3 or 4 lines in the water. I think it has more to do with a local (as in East side of Hawaii Island) culture that is a little too macho to wear flotation devices while fishing.
Recieving head injuries and/or being knocked unconcious from taking a fall in rocky areas while shoreline fishing is a real part of the risk, ...all the more so if encumbered by wearing unwieldy floatation devices. It may be prudent to pair a good helmet with the floatation device while shoreline fishing.

-----------------

Feel awful thinking of the pain and extreme distress the family members must be going through.
Or just tie yourself off with rope.. As they do on some of the more dangerous rivers while fishing.

Work..Consume...Obey - There's your meaning of life....
The coast guard started again early this morning sweeping the coastline. They have put in a lot of hours and effort so kudos to them for their hard work. The news report made it sound like they had stopped at nightfall on Saturday but they had continued all through the night and wee hours of the morning and continued through Sunday until nightfall...although I did hear a helicopter at one point in the evening down at the coast.

I saw the divers on Saturday late afternoon wrapping things up and they looked beat up and downtrodden after a couple of hours +. Part of it had to be they couldn't recover his body for the family. The ocean was very rough so they were putting their own lives at risk.

Very appreciative of their efforts. I'd want that if it were my loved one lost at sea.

During storm Iselle last year, part of the cliffs broke off along Kaloli Pt. So just standing near the edge of any cliff can be dangerous. I've heard of dogs accidentally falling over the edge so watch your dogs too.
Condolences to the family. Lessons learned for the community are #1 never fish the cliffs alone #2 always wear safety gear and #3 life is short.
This is neither a new scenario, nor one that will not be replayed.

It is not the cost of the flotation that is why it is not worn, as most would agree, at this time, how much would the family, friends & neighbors value that equipment??? even more real, when the fisherman was last seen offshore, what would the value be??? It is a tradition thing, if the ones that initially taught this fisherman didn't wear it, odds are the fisherman will not, unless there was a hard life lesson in-between.

I was an safety instructor trainer for years & one of the vital truths is that most people realize the reasons why they must wear PPEs at work (Personal protective equipment)...which usually starts with "the boss makes us". I got many a gear clicking when I reminded my clients that at work they are almost all covered by Workmans Comp....at home??? nope...

When you think about injury as a "lost time incident" at home, and the costs the family will bear, most everyone would wear the proper PPEs (little things like safety glasses when using most tools, flotation near un-guarded water,,, that sort of thing)... if you only thought about the true cost...