Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kaleo's
I have a nephew who works there. Don't forget to tip. Smile
It is by far the best thing in Pahoa. Think the Kilauea Lodge is the only thing better than it in Puna.
Last two times I was at Kaleo's when the blender at the bar was going all conversation at my table ceased till someone's drink was well blended and we could talk and listen again.
-----
Must have been a long time ago? They have one of the ultra/fancy/quiet blenders that has a special acoustic cover over it and I doubt it is louder than a whisper.

They also added air conditioning back in August, not so much as to make it cold inside, but to remove the humidity. They still keep the doors open. It is certainly much more pleasant with the AC on.

I eat there 3-4 times per week, lunch or dinner, but am generally at a table, not seated at the bar.
Kaleo's is your best bet to eat in Pahoa, it's still not great though. Those fish and chips(ono) are now $15 and will leave you hungry when finished, sorry Obie. The always free entertainment by the dozen homeless clowns who sit and drink on the wall is priceless. Knife fights, arguments, illegal drugs, open container's, and constant pan handling is the free entertainment across from Kaleo's. The young kids who are usually working there(kaleo's parking lot) to help park your car. Always have to put up with those drunks on the wall while they are trying to earn a dollar, please tip them if you can. Other Cities in America like Boise Idaho, don't allow homeless let alone unlawful homeless. (They have them arrested), pahoa likes them in the middle of town.
OK. Let me preface this by saying I am NOT a local. But when we come on vacation we have eaten at Paulo's Bistro several times and it was excellent every time.

I see no one has mentioned Paulo's so maybe it isn't so great, it isn't consistent or it isn't there anymore.

I know you asked about Kaleo's but you are looking for a place in Pahoa...
I enjoyed to frequent Paulo's Bistro back in the 90's when I lived closer to Pahoa. I liked the quaint atmosphere he had going, and of course his cooking expertise too.
Went to Kaleo's last week and found out the menu has recently changed. My husband's favorite...Filet tips in mushroom cream gravy is no longer offered. In fact, the whole section of "local favorites" that was on the back page is now gone. The appetizer fish and chips is now $15. I am not sure what else has changed. We don't go that often. Have to save it for special occasions as it is pricey and getting pricier.
Never had the fish and chips at Kaleo's. I consider the fish and chips at Pahao Fish the best I've had. You have your choice of fish. I like the ono. Or, you can have the fish wrap. But, it's a small place with not much seating. Your guests wouldn't be impressed with the place itself, but the food is really good.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Kaleo's is allright. Best place in town for fruity drinks and the food is OK. It's no where close to 5 star fare but for Pahoa, they are consistent which is something just short of amazing out here in the western frontier.
one time (2 people) ca2013 fairly good with an enjoyable Bruddah Waltah playing softly in corner... loved it

one time (5 people/3 months ago) NEVER AGAIN!... overpriced! too slow, too small (crowded) with other room empty, too loud (live music 9' from my plate), loopy server forgetting stuff... wrong order, out of meat for order they had to substitute flank steak ugh ....
Id always rather eat at Luquins anyday... at least Im full and have enough $$ for a couple Kava after...
but sometime I go to where the lemmings 'say' is great.... just to see for self...
maybe go back in 2018 and try for see what the fuss is about again
aloha

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha