Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pointless thread
If the TMT on Mauna Kea had started construction on-time, it seems the "first" big mirror to see the heavens would have been a Hawaii telescope / accomplishment . But I guess a small faction of a faction of the people in Hawaii decided that it shouldn't be. In this case it seems that the bad apple spoils the barrel.
dakine and his minions just want a payout..

I got minions? Cool, I had no idea! And a payout, da minions and I get a payout? Wow double cool!
@dakine: It's not about the telescope right!! It's about the sacrilege of the mountain and your myopic Hawaiian view that best serves your interests. You and your minions seem to think it's best for Hawaii to have no thirty meter telescope. I myself think you're wrong.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

Well, the thread started out about Ige saying the TMT getting back on track, I just hope the thread gets back on track. From the TMT to marijuana. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

And now ohia honey.
Can't just keep throwing cheap unfulfilled promises with more money into the same corrupt state ran programs and politician's

Correct: they "can't", some protestors convinced a judge that the rest of us weren't interested in jobs and money and education.

Better hope the new dispensaries save our economy, it's about all we have left.
Napua Greig discusses her three year appointment to the State Land Use Commission. She mentions she had no idea what her duties would encompass ("Oh wow, what is that?") But people told her it was a good thing because it was the most powerful body in the state, determining which projects are approved. Land use comments start at about the 2:00 point in the audio:

http://bigislandnow.com/2016/02/06/napua-greig/

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa
Better hope the new dispensaries save our economy, it's about all we have left.
You are so out of it, it makes me wonder if you are living in a self barricaded lava tube out there. The number one source of income for this island is tourism and that keeps growing. The number one source of money is government: federal, state, county. That really isn't income, that is taxes of one sort or another. Export products sent out bringing outside dollars in, is way down the list, and selling recyclable materials is a big part of that. The dispensaries are in the government category, part of the island circular economy.

TMT would have been a small contributor to the local economy, possibly increasing tourism a little, employing a couple hundred people, which is less than a minor Kona resort, still heavily government subsidized. TMT going to Atacama would barely be noticed around here after the social media blurp that would go along with that news. But it would make the current trend more noticeable, a lot less investment interest in Hawaii island in general. This could be a good thing. The development/start-up thing was a fun fever but ultimately, the intent was to make jobs on this island for mainlanders, which has wrong on it in so many ways. Visit, spend money, go home, is what kamaaina, locals and natives need. This idea of creating jobs needed by mainlanders to have the means and reason to live here has to die. Replace it with restore the forests.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
The number one source of income for this island is tourism and that keeps growing.

No tourist would ever want to see the TMT and/or smoke marijuana, that's just crazy talk.
quote:
quote:

Well, the thread started out about Ige saying the TMT getting back on track, I just hope the thread gets back on track. From the TMT to marijuana. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

And now ohia honey.

And it doesn't stop there. Now it's xenophobia.
Opinion from Rick Blangiardi, HNN:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/31172...ection-tmt