Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pointless thread
The last sentence of Blangiardi's piece says of the governor, "He's capable of the leadership this state needs." Really!?!? Ige has been pretty useless when it came to the TMT, the dengue epidemic, and reorganizing a state bureaucracy that can't process federal funds fast enough not to lose them. Unless he does a very quick 180 degree turn, the governor will continue to be useless.
I suspect he was just being diplomatic.
http://bigislandnow.com/2016/02/08/lette...acquittal/

I’m utterly shocked that Judge Barbara Takase acquitted several Thirty Meter Telescope protesters of obstruction. These protesters obviously were breaking the law by purposely blocking a publicly accessible roadway. However, Judge Takase accepted the protesters’ defense of their actions. The protesters assert they were preventing the desecration of Mauna Kea by blocking access to the mountain.

I suspect she was more afraid of being charged with a possible “war crime” instead of following the law.
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

[quote]Originally posted by kalakoa

But it would make the current trend more noticeable, a lot less investment interest in Hawaii island in general. This could be a good thing. The development/start-up thing was a fun fever but ultimately, the intent was to make jobs on this island for mainlanders, which has wrong on it in so many ways. Visit, spend money, go home, is what kamaaina, locals and natives need. This idea of creating jobs needed by mainlanders to have the means and reason to live here has to die. Replace it with restore the forests.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"

Jeesh! Haoles go homes is what you are saying? I will call a spade a spade. Your opinion reeks of racism. You are, of course, entitled to it; but I'd Guess you'd like folks like me gone too?

AKpilot

We're all here, because we're not all there!
Your opinion reeks of racism.

Not "my" opinion -- I'm not racist, I hate everyone equally.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

Your opinion reeks of racism.

Not "my" opinion -- I'm not racist, I hate everyone equally.

Hey man, at least you own it! [Wink] We can agree to disagree

AKpilot

I’m utterly shocked that Judge Barbara Takase acquitted several Thirty Meter Telescope protesters of obstruction...

Yes Aaron shocked as you might be some, as demonstrated by Judge Takase, still recognize another's way of life, systems and beliefs, and honor their right to practice them even though they might be contrary to their own. Something to contemplate when one considers that the illegal overthrow of Hawaii has yet to be adequately addressed. I bet, especially after the outcome of the stand taken on Mauna Kea, that civil disobedience will more than likely be used again and again until it is.

And yes I can grok that this makes a lot of recent arrivals to the island uncomfortable. As if they fear they may loose something, if not their land at least the sense that they are comfortably wrapped in the America flag or some such. Is that the fault of the Hawaiians or the US government for not addressing this issue earlier?
Hey man, at least you own it!

No, I can barely afford the rent.

You think Aaron is a recent arrival because he says judges should uphold the law?
...demonstrated by Judge Takase, still recognize another's way of life, systems and beliefs, and honor their right to practice them even though they might be contrary to their own.

Aaron may be shocked because a court of law is supposed to follow the law, and make decisions based solely upon the laws in effect at the time of the ruling. From the American Bar Association:

How Courts Work
Steps in a Trial
Instructions to the Jury
The judge instructs the jury about the relevant laws that should guide its deliberations.

However you might feel about the protesters, the law was not followed in the judges decision for this court case.

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves