Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pointless thread
ecognize another's way of life, systems and beliefs, and honor their right to practice them

Precedent: State must now recognize the "way of life/system/belief/right to practice" enjoyed by unpermitted shack-dwellers with generators, extension cords, camp stoves, and swimming-pool catchment. Government cannot favor one religion over others.
dakine has a tendency to become quite melodramatic at times, which in turn seems to lead him to lash out in a gush of ugly hot air bubbling to the surface. A veritable gyser of sludge, not entirely unpredictable.
quote:
Originally posted by dakine

I’m utterly shocked that Judge Barbara Takase acquitted several Thirty Meter Telescope protesters of obstruction...

Yes Aaron shocked as you might be some, as demonstrated by Judge Takase, still recognize another's way of life, systems and beliefs, and honor their right to practice them even though they might be contrary to their own. Something to contemplate when one considers that the illegal overthrow of Hawaii has yet to be adequately addressed. I bet, especially after the outcome of the stand taken on Mauna Kea, that civil disobedience will more than likely be used again and again until it is.

And yes I can grok that this makes a lot of recent arrivals to the island uncomfortable. As if they fear they may loose something, if not their land at least the sense that they are comfortably wrapped in the America flag or some such. Is that the fault of the Hawaiians or the US government for not addressing this issue earlier?

I've lived here in Hawaii my entire life, born and raised, if you were implying I'm a newcomer here.

I don't see the sovereignty movement gaining any traction until al the various groups reach a consensus. That won't happen anytime soon, so I'm not worried about the State of Hawaii turning into the Kingdom of Hawaii in my lifetime. Didn't the Civil War teach us anything?

As far as Judge Takase's decision, I suspect she was afraid of being charged with a possible war crime. Hence why she dismissed the charges.
We can't keep allowing projects like the Superferry and the TMT to be blocked. Hawaii will get the reputation of being a place where Corporations must follow the law to operate!
Hawaii already has the reputation of having laws that are nearly impossible to follow, in the first place..
All-time favorite example: Pearl Bakery.

They applied for, paid for, and were issued, permits by County. After opening, they were informed that they did not, in fact, have enough permits to operate legally -- apparently it's "nobody's job" to tell you what else you might need, even as they accept payment and issue permits.

Having navigated the SUP process (with massive community support, as County was disinclined to grant the SUP), they did reopen; less than a year later, they were informed that the permits (which County had issued after accepting payment of fees) weren't actually valid for their intended purpose, and would have to re-apply.

They moved back to the mainland rather than try a third time.

Far as I can tell (infrequent drive-by) the building remains idle, not creating jobs or generating tax revenue.

(Note that no "protectors" were involved, nor any court rulings -- County mismanaged this one all by itself.)
We can't keep allowing projects like the Superferry and the TMT to be blocked... Corporations must follow the law to operate!

Must follow the law.

Judge Takase, still recognize(s) another's way of life, systems and beliefs, and honor their right to practice them even though they might be contrary to their own... civil disobedience will more than likely be used again and again until it is.

Following the law is optional.

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Another well written article here about the continued TMT debate. Still very far from being back on track, or at least the right track,jmo.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithab...ef6ed07b3e
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=for...ng+malware

1. Require viewers to shut off adblockers;
2. Serve up malware through your website;
3. Profit!
The site works just fine with Firefox and AdBlock Plus?