Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Court remands TMT sublease
You said double the cost of building TMT... Sometimes you can buy your way out of problems. It seems the American way. Maybe if they spend more money and pay off a few people in the courts they can try to jump through some hoops. Works in congress and pretty much the entire legal system. Cash is king....

Money talks, the rest take the bus.

Pog, I'm not really in China, I figured, it was kinda cool to put something rather than USA. Was hoping to have more options like sub division but ... those were the options at the time. Tho, your right, I am kinda tired, and should get to bed.
I don't think you'll find any of the observatories trying to buy off judges.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

I don't think you'll find any of the observatories trying to buy off judges.

Haha, maybe...maybe not. So, why did it double then? Maybe there are certain powers to be that will do whatever it takes to push this through. We'll see just how far the rabbit hole goes. It may be an eye opener.
It didn't double. That was Gypsy69/pahoated gibberish.
Came across this article, anyone has any more information on this.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/...556329.cms
http://www.tmt.org/news-center/statement...rd-meeting

"At this time, Hawaii remains our first choice for the location of TMT, and we are very grateful for all of our supporters. Given the enormous investment and potential challenges ahead, it is necessary to also carry out a review of alternate sites."

The TMT board recently visited La Palma, which is a poor site for the TMT, and this news report hardly changes my opinion about Mount Saraswati. Astronomers visiting sites for a few days is not site testing - that takes months to years to do.
Astronomers visiting sites for a few days is not site testing

"Most people" won't know this, so the media hype will work as intended.
Strange how dakine will quote a media article, then quote a post from me, but not question gypsy's comment that the cost of the TMT has doubled. It's even odder since the article dakine quotes contradicts gypsy's claim. For someone who claims they are sitting on the fence about the TMT in Hawaii, it makes me wonder about dakine's integrity.
Tomk, I found an article you either missed or ignored from a few years ago. Said here that the TMT would cost just under $800,000,000 now they say $ 1.8 billion. Jmo here, this TMT project will end up crossing the $2 billion mark before it is done in Chile, possible 3 times the original cost figure. By the way my statement about that cost was "almost doubled" I should change that for you to almost tripled.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...mauna-kea/

Some serious inflation may have taken place in the last four years? Unfortunatly my home value here in Puna has decreased, while my working wage per hour has stayed the same during that time.

http://m.phys.org/news/2012-01-china-ind...scope.html

Also the groundbreaking construction for this TMT was interrupted in 2014, so no idea why they now say construction is scheduled to begin in 2018?. Also the 1 million every year offer is going to look silly in the year 2050 if inflation is not factored in. That $1 dollar rent or lease agreements made by your astronomy community back in the 1960's looks like a joke today, a very sick joke.

Edited to add.
Speaking of adding info, some authors do a poor job by not adding enough info of what really might matter,jmo. That is what some of these older articles seriously lacked, (Respect). Why no mention of the many opposing or oppressed conerned Hawaiian communities thoughts about the tmt project that was being pushed atop their sacred mountain?
From the article:

projected to cost about $754 million in 2006 dollars

An alleged "tripling of cost" would therefore need to be adjusted for inflation.