Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Court remands TMT sublease
"It probably has something to do with the fact she can't be bought."

Sounds like a bribe to me, in someone's twisted imagination.
Thanks, Opihikao. I will say "a wink and a nod" generally means a bribe where I come from.

Please read my post from a day ago. I think I explained UHH's reasoning based on the the motion that they submitted. They're trying to make things as watertight as possible. However, whether this was done with the agreement of the TMT, I don't know, because if the motion is successful then it's a further delay. The TMT folk are really working to a deadline now as they want to be operational at the same time the JWST is taking science data. If that doesn't happen then there's a risk they won't build it anywhere, and with so many countries investing in the project, that would be a disaster for the project - and for science.

As for Pam, I'll pass on your aloha this weekend when we're together again!
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

"It probably has something to do with the fact she can't be bought."

Sounds like a bribe to me, in someone's twisted imagination.

Good evening, Mr. PaulW. Was going to go into the "Politics" thread, and saw your response. Perhaps "can't be bought" can be construed as "bribe" (since it was your word, Sir.). In my view, it is more a "political" statement. She does NOT play "politics". At all.

Respectfully, Sir.

JMO.
You're the one who doesn't know what is happening if you think UH is trying to bribe judges.
Maybe you don't have much experience with institutes of higher education.

Heynow, I thought you preferred George Harrison.
And just a few days ago I mentioned "muddying the waters".

Anyway, dakine added:

"ETA: Thanks opihikao for trying to explain this to those that don't get it. To me it's pure folly to think that being a member of the Imiloa Astronomy Center means anything at all. It's such a flimsy excuse it's funny that anyone would actually think it would hold water. But hey they had to say something."

So you agree that the protesters arguing that the judge has a conflict of interest is wrong?
quote:

You're the one who doesn't know what is happening if you think UH is trying to bribe judges.
Maybe you don't have much experience with institutes of higher education.

Heynow, I thought you preferred George Harrison.

(BBM) Here Comes the Sun...[Big Grin]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfMWJi4req4

We say.... Ia 'Oe E Ka La!

(Running away, wishing all a good night. Rest well.) Tomorrow is another day. It will all work out, the way it is supposed to be.

Mahalo ke Akua, e na Aumakua, e na Kupuna.

JMO.

Case (again, allegedly per documents filed) circumvented the proper protocol in choosing Amano.

Amazing (not really) how many times "circumventing the process" comes up, seems like it happens wherever enough money is involved.

The TMT folk are really working to a deadline now

Hawaii doesn't do "deadlines" -- see also the HELCO/NextEra merger.

my focus now is on the master lease agreement, and the upcoming negotiations

Protectors' goal is to invalidate the underlying land-use, at which point all telescopes can be decommissioned, then UH won't even need an astronomy program. As noted earlier, the rest of us get to pay for this too.
What sort of "respect" are you envisioning here? More bribes? Or telling people to "shut up and go back where they came from"?

The Hawaiian community - that's all of us - is represented by the government we elected.

If you mean Native Hawaiians, it's hard to sit down with an undefined group. There are many factions, of which just a small portion is anti-progress.
dakine wrote:
the goal is to be respected...
if our government, and... citizens, were to be respectful...
There is no respect...
a multi-cultural foundation people can't be respectful...
So we get what we have gotten.
For the state not to recognize their roll in creating the situation...

dakine,
Do you see this respect as a one way street from the oppressors to their victims?
Or a two way street between equals?

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:

What sort of "respect" are you envisioning here? More bribes? Or telling people to "shut up and go back where they came from"?
Here in the makai hood, we be calling dat dissin'. Don't be dissin' or the bruh be poppin' you one. Get Tongan rock wall across the front of the crib, best for drive by defense.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*