Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lava viewing in Kalapana?
My bad for not being more descriptive... taking a disabled person to see the lava what is best place? Can walk only short distances. Longer on flat surfaces (up to half mile including return trip), uneven surfaces, not so much.
Taro... we have biked the whole Chain of Craters emergency route (end of HWY 130 to the National Park side visitors info booth/snack stand/portoilettes
it is open from either end, but the National Park side is over 5 miles west of the flow at the eastern boundary of the park & the HWY 130 route is almost 3 miles east of the flow at the National Park boundary, on a much better packed road (as of Monday)... with a lot more public to join you on your trek!

The reason why vehicles are being limited is that federal funds went into that construction & the county is not willing to do anything that may damage the federally funded emergency evacuation road... if madam Pele decides to, well, that is a totally different matter!

Today the lava flow is well under a mile to the ocean, & which means less than 3/4th mile to the limit of the public approved access (going off road to the flow is being done, but. when I last checked NO LANDOWNERS HAVE GIVEN PERMISSION TO GO ONTO THEIR PROPERTY TO VIEW THE LAVA... which means you are trespassing if you d (and many have....have no idea how the liability issues that could arise will be handles...

That said, stay on the road if you wish to stay fully legal & esp. if you have any doubts on your "its dark out & I'm traipsing over sharp, uneven black lava" skills.

I am not sure what PTed expected of the Chain of Craters emergency route, but it WAS completed, leveled & graded as a gravel road from the paved area of HWY 130 to the paved area of CoC in the National Park.
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/activity/kilaueastatus.php

0.7 miles to go
The cops rolled in around 10:30 p.m last night with several extra security officers planted at strategic points, not even sure if they were allowing kama'aina in after 10 pm? Was the lava crossing the federally funded emergency road last night, or is this the start of a new county lava viewing deterrent plan? For tourists, locals, everyone?
Also Would parking tickets be written by the cops if your car is still parked in the designated parking area after midnight?
not even sure if they were allowing kama'aina in after 10 pm?

Legitimate residents have been issued passes for the checkpoint.

Would parking tickets be written by the cops

Maybe... ask them?
Maybe they just dont want footprints in their fresh clean lava. They dont seem to care how many tourists drown every week.. just dont dirty up our lava..

..And the people bowed and prayed... to the neon God they made...
New camera position i notice... looking towards Kalapana and ocean. Might be more interesting at night.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/cams/panorama.php?cam=HPcam&display=Live

So is the "Lava Viewing Area" just like before?

Where they keep you at least a half a mile away from the lava?
This latest video from the helechopper cleary shows people standing right next to the flows...

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2016/0...oad-ocean/
Is it legal... who knows..( 15 seconds in)

ETA: what are they going to do ... take your birthday away?.. you can kill people on this island and only get 30 days..

Hmmmm. Interesting. Thanks for the link.