Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - DoubleTree - News
Terracore - no, haven't tried that. I'll give it a try soon!

Opihikao - I like a good wine as well! If you like a nice pinot noir, Foodland Keaau sells a very nice one from Mirassou Winery (California) and it's not too expensive, about $10. It's one of my favourites!

I also agree that the Hilo Hawaiian needs some competition. As I learned in this thread, at least the bar has been upgraded but suspect they'll need better amenities and service to compete with a DoubleTree hotel.
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

TomK have you tried the Maui Brewing coconut porter? JMHO but its worth the 6-pack price for 4-pack coco porter.

Either you love it or hate it. I find it "weak".
I started another thread that was about red road and Uncle Roberts as a good introductory to the Big Island. Part of the discussion strayed to the subject of the Grand Naniloa and some very helpful information was provided by Carey. I thought my experiences from that thread would be better here as this thread subject is specific to the Naniloa…

I had called the hotel and booked a newly renovated Bay View room that includes daily free round of golf for each guest. The total, with a senior discount, averaged $134 per night ($152.67 with taxes and fees). On the other thread Carey clued me in to an upcoming “flash sale” for the hotel that she was notified via email. I went to the webpage and signed up for their A-List membership, which is free and has some benefits; 10% off published rate, a free welcome basket at check in and a free room upgrade (subject to availability). I got the flash sale email today, checked out the website and made some calls. I found other options I didn’t know about and ended up with a good result. They have some interesting deals and combo’s going on right now…

Bay View, newly renovated room rate;

Senior rate –$134 per night ($152.67 with taxes and fees). Free daily round of golf for each guest
A-List Members – 10% off published rate, a free welcome basket at check in and a free room upgrade (subject to availability)
Flash sale – It’s 18% off published rate. $122.65/night (+ taxes and fees – I estimate it would be around $144.65). Free daily round of golf for each guest

So it would seem the flash sale would be the best deal, however I also found another promotion;

Bay View room, free golf and a rental car for $149/night (+ taxes and fees). Plus with the A-List membership I am eligible for the room upgrade and welcome basket. After doing brain straining mental math, and some quick car rental cost research, I figured this was the best deal. While the room with a car is priced higher, it’s cheaper than renting a car separately. I figure we’ll save about $200 for the 10 day car rental…

Anyway, thanks to Carey for pointing out the sale which led me to find the deal I made! Our hotel is booked, our car is booked and we got our flights booked as well. Now we’re just counting the days…
I travel for a living, and stay in Hilton properties most every week. So I was excited to hear of the renovations underway for the new Doubletree Hotel in Hilo. I'll spend my travel points on a week there in July next year. I'd much rather stay there than the Hilton resort north of Kona. That one is overpriced, crowded, and really not all that much fun. I was able to get 7 nights for only 30,000 points a night at the new Hilo Doubletree, which a very reasonable price. The Kona resort charges 50K minimum/night plus all kinds of add-on fees. (Not to mention a 50 dollar breakfast buffet...) I have also noticed that Tripadvisor reviews are getting increasinglykinder as Hilton completes the renovations.
Those daily prices seem very high for this side of the island to me, even with a car or golf round included. For those who May like some privacy, more rooms, Tide pools, Thier own kitchen, or to be closer to their action. This is not a bad way to spend a few days on the east side. I know of a couple nice private places around green mountain that rent for under $100 a night too.

https://www.flipkey.com/kapoho-vacation-...s/p385420/

The free golf round with the Grand Naniloa rooms should be just that "free" because the golf course is in terrible shape, especially around the greens. AVOID the GOLF at the Naniloa and go to Volcano CC or Big Island Country Club jmo.
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

It's funny to think about hotel prices in different areas. I visit my parents in the Salinas area of California (agriculture, not fancy or touristy) and a plain, non chain hotel was in the $160/night range. Cheaper than the Hilton, et al type hotels around. I just got back from a work project in Santa Clara (San Jose area) and the cheapest hotel we could find was a La Quinta for $300/night, which ended up being $350+/- after taxes and fees. La Quinta is a no frills type hotel. Finding a hotel in Hawaii for <$150/night actually seens pretty good from my experience...

We originally looked at VRBO and other house rentals, but found even a $125/night place quickly grew in price once the fees/taxes/charges were added on. More so than the hotel. Most had a cleaning fee in the $75-$90 dollar range. Staying in Kapoho for 1/2 the time (3 or 4 days) then somewhere along the Hamakua coast the other half (our original plan) would rack up +/- $160 in cleaning fees alone. The listing you linked above is listed at $190/night midweek when I checked. We really wanted to go that route but there was more expense than what initially appears there would be. At the Naniloa the final cost was under what most if the VRBO listings totaled out to, plus we have the car and golf...

Speaking of golf, we weren't even planning on bringing our clubs or playing golf due to the green fees. The cost of a round at BICC, for example, ranges from $54 to $79. On a Wednesday. Yes, we're on vacation and the courses are beautiful, but we're not made of money and I have a hard time paying that much. We have so many courses around here the competition makes it so you can always find a good deal. Also, we're relatively new to golf so it can be frustrating paying high $ when you don't play all that well. That's why we're not too worried about the Naniloa course - it's a bonus we didn't expect and won't feel too bad when shanking drives off into the trees (well, I may have some 4 letter commentary when I do but it won't be about how much I paid!).

Anyway, she is a professor and has summers off while I work from home and can be anywhere with a phone and internet connection. We're kicking around the idea of coming back this summer for an extended period: 1 month, 2 months - who knows. If that pans out then I think a VRBO might be a good option.
Best beer deal in Hilo? Go to Mehana Brewing Tasting Room on Kawili....across from Hawaii Community College..
Link is for tours, but there are no tours:
http://mehanabrewing.com/tours/

Golf is less expensive here if you are Kama`aina, (since I play a much better game of divets, we save our clubs for rocks)
We will definitely try the Mehana brewery! I think we'll also try the Hamakua Country Club. Hearing the name then looking at the course (Google Earth, Google Images, etc...) makes me chuckle. We have a similar 9 hole course around here that isn't in the best shape, nor is it particularly long, but for $12 you can go around as much as you want. HCC is $15/day. Good way to be outside and get exercise while practicing! One of my "wants" is to visit Honokaa, eat at Tex drive in get something from the Peoples Theatre.
What better thing to get at the Peoples Theater than a SHOW???
Their events link (still early for all of November offerings):
http://honokaapeople.com/events.html
I second that!

Great place. Saw Cyril Pahinui there.