Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your favorite things about Puna?
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

randomq, great question about the old days. Here are just a few things I can remember.

Queens bath, Kaimu, Foxes, old Kalapana and Royal gardens was a blessing.
Fishing and diving at Harry kims when the coral was alive and well.
Old Pahoa town with all the nice little boutique's and art shops.
Free roaming Green Mountain.
Geothermal was an experimental baby steam plant, not an electric producing monster.
Cash-n-Carry was enough for all.
Passing cars on the highway was common and easy, the average time it took from Pahoa to Hilo was 25 minutes.
Rent and food was a 1/3 of today's prices.
Ore's beach, Harry Kim's and Champagne ponds were easy to access.
Every October and November many locals would be buying new cars and trucks.
Self sustainability was a reality.
Picking and eating fresh wild fruit was common practice.
No cane grass or Albesia tree issues.
Bananas, Tomatoes, Kava, Papaya and gardens were easy to grow.
Ohia's were healthy and vibrant.
Going to Movies in Hilo was 50 cents and 5 dollars to play golf all day.
The Red Road was really Red cinder.
The White and Black sand beaches in Opihikao were clean and uncrowded.
Pohoiki had little to no traffic and the local rule was the cars exiting, going up the hill pulled over.
Pele was gifted and respected.

Mahalo for caring randomq.

LOL Gypsy, even when you are gently prompted to post something actually positive, you still manage to shoehorn some negativity in there! [Wink]

Hawaii still has plenty of gardens! The coral isn't dead yet, either. I'm not sure what "Green Mountain" is, but googling it, I don't see any law against exploring it today in 2017, so yay for that! I'm sorry you dislike electricity, but a lot of elderly and keikis need it just to stay alive, so I'm going to go with the geothermal plant as an "electricity producing savior", 'cuz that's a more accurate statement.

Bananas, Tomatoes, Kava, Papaya and gardens are still easy to grow! [:0]

Sustainability is becoming more possible now than it ever has been before. Within ten years, solar cell technology will be cheap, effective, and ubiquitous enough to where the common person can live off the grid and it won't be a nightmare. I've read about a guy who tried it about five years back, and they work fine and dandy until they get old and one cell fails which causes other cells to fail with it.

Those kinds of durability issues are extremely typical of new technology, look at the cassette tape and how it transformed into the much longer lasting CD. Within ten years, they will have developed solar tech to be cheap, effective, and durable enough that it won't be just Hawai'i who will be putting up solar panels in every viable location, but the entire planet. Even people who don't care about the environment will put up solar because at that point, you will be losing money if you fail to do so. [:o)]

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile
Watching the sunrise every morning with the scent of night-blooming jasmine and drinking the best coffee in the world. (Well, it's Ka'u coffee, but still...)

1 island 2 another
1 island 2 another
Sustainability is becoming more possible now than it ever has been before.

Yes and no -- the overhead of government rules and regulations cannot be supported by a self-sufficient populace; we need a better governance model which prizes self-determination and individual responsibility.

The eternal conflict is what makes this place so different, interesting, special: what we have isn't a "scarcity of resources", merely a "distribution/allocation problem".

It's like the old saying: utility companies will support solar power just as soon as they figure out how to run the sunlight through a meter...
The rainy season from Jan 1st to Dec 31st.
When it rains 5 inches or 10 inches a day non stop for 6 or more months.
We love the Ua.
Mrs.Mimosa
The quiet
The birdsong
The shades of green
Stunning scenery
The generosity of the people
Ocean colors
The stars
Watching fog creep in and that light drizzly rain
Those huge deluges
Gentle breezes
Hawaiian radio stations

Connie
Connie
OK, whew, haven't posted in quite a while. I believe it's referred to as 'lurking'.
Faves for Puna specifically, huh?
Many care for and support our aina
lots of space, not too crowded
That glorious drive down to the turnoff as the rain diminishes and quits just before I turn toward home.
true beauty at 'magic hour' as the colors blend and and the shadows diminish
the ability to walk my street up and down and maybe never see a car
Eager, 'high on life' hitchhikers wanting to go to 4 corners
scurrying mongoose as I approach observing with caution
Scented orchids on the trees and calling to my olfactory receptors
'Services' (aloha kalakoa) available in the village w/o too much travel time
All the wonderful comments above and Mahalo nui loa for caring to represent

-dwajs
-dwajs
Watching the changing sky from sunrise to sunset. The amazing show of stars on a clear night. Toodling about at 45 miles an hour instead of 80. The lack of sensory over load. The pleasant cultural events for little or no momey. The intense beauty of the Hilo beach parks. Everything about being outdoors in Hawaii.

Edited to add, the yellow finches that visit most afternoons.
Mahalo glassnumbers for starting this thread [Smile] which prompted me to reflect and remember why my husband and I moved here almost 10 yrs ago, from Oahu's east side.

The beautiful green forests and the beautiful blue sky. And every so often, the beautiful sunsets.

The beautiful Hawaiiana home my husband designed and built w/his own hands and the lot and location it sits on.

Quiet morning walks or bike rides on L Rd along the ocean, to Ala Heiau, hearing the birds sing, the smell of the forest and hearing and seeing the beautiful shining blue ocean crashing against the black cliffs. The black shiny crabs scampering along the wet cliffs, the sea turtles and the colorful fish.

The night sky is amazing. Being rural we see so many more stars. Just gorgeous! Add to that the sounds of whales some evenings during whale season.

The anole lizards, although we've seen less and less over the past few yrs since the Madagascar have multiplied. The occasional viewing of the Hawaiian hawk or Pueo owl. The nene honking as they fly over. The beautiful songster, (maybe the Melodious Laughing Thrush?) flitting from bush to bush hard to see, w/an olive greenish cast and a little larger than a Myna. Have seen more and more beautiful small bright yellow birds on this side of the island.

The Aloha spirit, the colorful people and the easy going pace that encompasses all of the above.... The traffic is nothing compared to Oahu, so it's great from my perspective.
Nice post Mermaid. You painted a beautiful picture. If I wasn't already here, I'd be buying a plane ticket.

We are a family of bird lovers. We love that camo green Thrush who has the most spectacular, intricate song I've ever heard from a bird.
We have always tried to repeat the bird songs and "talk" to the birds here but cannot even come close to imitating their calls. They keep getting more complicated and beautiful as they sing. Yes, they do make Hawaii even more beautiful!
Yeah that Thrush is amazing.

I understand it to be a Chinese Thrush. That birds sings like Ella Fitzgerald does scat.

Here's a simple fact of life on the Big Island.... all the good stuff is free.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator