Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comphrensive anti-bug network!

I actually have no issue with bugs out in the wild, I wouldn't kill them out there. The problem i have is going to sleep, waking up in the middle of the night to take a piss, and when I return, a full sized cockroach is just sitting there on the wall, not but an inch from my bed. That freaks me out and I can't go back to sleep, how many other cockroaches or maybe centipedes are laying in wait in my bed? Outside of that stealth aspect, I realize the bugs have their place in the natural cycle, they all do a thing, and I'm cool with that. I'm not cool with being surprised in the middle of the night when I just wanna go to sleep, lol.

Also, thank you Kenney, I always appreciate your responses, thoughtful and informative. I appreciate all your responses really! Mahalo!

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile
The little blue-ish centipedes hurt the worst
The problem i have is going to sleep... I'm not cool with being surprised in the middle of the night

If bugs while you sleep at night are your main concern, a mosquito net over your bed with the ends tucked between the mattress and box spring does a fairly good job keeping you protected.

On the fifth day - the scientists who studied the rivers - were forbidden to speak - or to study the rivers. -Jane Hirshfield's poem on creation
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Moderator:

Glassnumbers and others, ease up on the constant quoting. It just makes things hard to read

that's so simple, I should have thought of that! Mahalo!!! that's all I need, to keep out the roaches and centipedes, and honestly, so long as they aren't ambushing me at 1 am, I can deal with them just fine.

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile
Great Glassnumbers. Problem solved. Inexpensive mosquito nets for sale at the Military Surplus store in Hilo. HOTPE to the rescue!
I didn't think of mosquito nets either. Come to think of it, our whole family used mosquito nets when we first came here.
It takes a while to get comfortable with all the insects.. Nowadays only the rare small blue centipedes get my "fight or flight" response going.
We need to adapt to having some presence of the aforementioned small pests. Use control measures (regular interval), but don't freak if some are still around.

We are better off being concerned with the more serious problems of fire ants and rat lungworm.
We are better off being concerned with the more serious problems of fire ants and rat lungworm.

Both of which pale in comparison to "ROD destroys the watershed".
If you do not want bugs inside, it is up to you, and every member of your house to make sure that there is no way for the bugs to get in:
Always close doors
Make sure all screens are always in good repair... no little cuts, snags or holes
make sure all vents have vent caps, & seal up any crack, hole or seam in the "House envelope" the outside to inside transition your house
Make sure you keep everything clean, clean up all food scrapes, mud dirt, dust bunny (these attract bugs)
inspect everything you bring into your house before bringing it in ( many bugs "hitch hike" into your house on boxes & bags & furniture)

& now for the reality
you may keep down the bug load, but you will encounter them when you least expect it...it is hard to totally bug proof a house...
almost impossible to do in a vehicle...
so be aware that they may share some of your space... but very few will actually bite you & only then if you are getting into THEIR space... so do not reach into dark areas, always turn on a light when you walk at night (esp to "take a piss") they will hide & stay away from you if you allow them to
here is what someone on Flickr has to say about the blue centipede.

Matt Reinbold
A juvenile Scolopendra subspinipes subspinipes. As far as I know, only the Malaysian and Hawaiian localities produce offspring with blue legs (though the Hawaiian variety is not actually native to Hawaii). The blue will fade away as it grows and turn a shade of red.

So, it's a normal vietnamese centipede, only it's young, so it's legs are blue.

Also, yah, Carey, that's what I'm hoping. These cockroaches here in california are SO STUPID. Turning on the light does not cause them to scatter!

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile
ROD destroys the watershed

Yes, thank you. Rapid Ohia Death is a very important concern.