Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
District 4 Survey Results
In HA, if every lot owner actually paid their HARC dues, we could afford 10 loads of gravel a year for every mile of road. Or a little less but actually pave the rough and steep spots that erode quickly. Don't really need pavement.
n HA, if every lot owner actually paid their HARC dues, we could afford 10 loads of gravel a year for every mile

But: would County allow "10 loads of gravel per mile" as a maintenance plan?

The good thing about the question is that Ms. Bonaventura sees her constituents' dissatisfaction with their roads. At least she's listening.
Rob and kalakoa brought up the County spending on roads, or lack thereof, in Hilo and Kona.

Here's another question on the survey about roads, although it may fall under state jurisdiction rather than County:

"Should an alternate route be built between Hilo and Puna?"
14% - Yes, Makai of Hwy 130
38% - Yes, Railroad Extension
11% - Mauka of Hwy 130
23% - Beach Road Extension
11% - Other
3% - No

The Railroad Extension is by far the most favored route by voters. It would traverse heavily populated HPP, so could be quickly accessed by a majority of Puna drivers. Unfortunately it runs through the land holdings of the Shipman family which probably makes it the least likely proposition, despite the wishes of residents.

On the fifth day - the scientists who studied the rivers - were forbidden to speak - or to study the rivers. -Jane Hirshfield's poem on creation
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Encouraging that 97% of lower Puna would like an alternate route to Hilo.

Realistically, any route will have to either cross lands County can't control (be it State or Shipman), or would have to be "near someone's house", so it's probably a non-starter.

Volcano residents are more likely to get their alternate Hilo route, for reasons that should be obvious.
The state has made it very clear as recently as last month that no Puna alternate route would even be considered until the expansion of Highway 130 is complete. They said so in a letter to the county council when the council was lobbying to get $15 million released to start planning one. Since the state controls access to federal money, and there's no way the county will spend $200 million of its own money on Puna, I'd say it's dead for now.
no Puna alternate route would even be considered until the expansion of Highway 130 is complete.
I'd say it's dead for now.

So in our Puna version of democracy, the 3% who voted NO for a Hilo-Puna alternate vote win.

On the fifth day - the scientists who studied the rivers - were forbidden to speak - or to study the rivers. -Jane Hirshfield's poem on creation
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
until the expansion of Highway 130 is complete

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...y-130-puna

Of course, it's for FY2019, plenty of time to claw back that money for rail.

our Puna version of democracy, the 3% who voted NO

A survey of "what people want" is irrelevant when the reality is "one acre one vote"...
"Should an alternate route be built between Hilo and Puna?"
14% - Yes, Makai of Hwy 130
38% - Yes, Railroad Extension
11% - Mauka of Hwy 130
23% - Beach Road Extension
11% - Other
3% - No
-------

75% like choices between 130 and the ocean... Where an alternate route should be.
"So in our Puna version of democracy, the 3% who voted NO for a Hilo-Puna alternate vote win."

That's one way of looking at it. Another way is to realize that the people with the money get to decide. Democracy has little or nothing to do with it.