Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keaau Village Market moving
the arsenic laden soil that scuttled a plan for a hotel where the HMSA building sits now

I thought the hotel was supposed to go behind Foodland. There's even a building permit for HOTEL attached to that TMK.
It has moved. It is located behind and to the right of the Shell station. I was the only customer there, so word has not gotten out yet.
Apparently the new site will only host the produce vendors under tents, with no building for the existing little restaurants and few shops. I think there is also a hair salon/barber that will need to find a new place. We will miss that little spot!
That building was put up, what, 10 years ago? The waste here is amazing.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

the arsenic laden soil that scuttled a plan for a hotel where the HMSA building sits now

I thought the hotel was supposed to go behind Foodland. There's even a building permit for HOTEL attached to that TMK.

I heard that site was contaminated with arsenic, so can't be used. The shopping center itself has never been tested, so is A-OK, no problemo, brilliant!
The market has been in that location for more than 12 years (was not brand new when we moved into town)
I guess it must have been longer then, but I remember when there were other buildings there before that, actually a row of stores down to the Hong Wan Ji and other buildings across the street. Where Mcdonalds is was the downtown, much like Pahoa, there was a two story building on the corner and a few shops, a laundry we used several times and a lunch shop next door. Across the street next to the post office was a little church. All long gone. If you're curious, go to Youtube and type in "Keaau".

I heard that site was contaminated with arsenic, so can't be used.

The story I heard: permits approved for a 60-room hotel, arsenic discovered, lawsuit filed forcing Shipman to clean up the site, project delayed just enough that the economy went soft.

I don't know if the site was ever cleaned up, but the permits are still on file. Until Shipman's "New Keaau" moved the State Urban Land-Use Boundary, that parcel was most of the existing C-zoned real estate in Keaau...
The same Shipman who is blocking the PMAR because we should just go to Keaau instead of Hilo...
I'd be happy to go to Keaau or Pahoa if they had a bigger range of goods and services than is currently on offer. That would lessen the need for PMAR by reducing traffic in terms of both shopping trips and commuting for jobs. Unfortunately the county zoning, planning, and permitting departments seem to all be arrayed against sensible commercial development in Puna. The good old boys in charge long ago decided that we need to keep going to Hilo ad infinitum. The Shipmans have been able to use their influence to get some limited development in Keaau, but it doesn't really solve the bigger issue.