Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
up to 1 gigabit fiber NOW available in Orchidland!
I'm not complaining, most web sites aren't dishing out those speeds anyway.

The Zyxel modem / router that comes with the package is huge, but it's settings are intuitive and it's got better range the TP Link router I was previously using. Also, it has 5G wireless (1.2G) which is the newest (fastest) type of wireless networking. My smart TV connects with it and Netflix has never looked better.

ETA: 770 down @ 0530am.
Just tested - 715/97. Not too shabby for Puna.
Anybody with this service using the Zyxel modem/router as a network drive? It has a USB slot where you can plug in a USB storage device (either a stick or a hard drive) and when I use it, the computers can access it just fine but the LG TV cannot. It shows Zyxel Media Server just fine but when I try to access it, it says UNSTABLE CONNECTION. The LG TV can run stuff off the shared folders on the computers no problem.

(Yes, I configured the Zyxel to enable the USB port for file sharing and as a media server).
Those that went with 300mb.. what is the actual download you are getting? I've struggled for 12 years with 6mb or less. Even 150 would be a major upgrade! On the other hand, living down on Maku'u in HPP, we'll probably never be upgraded... Somebody please tell me I'm wrong! LOL

The Zyxel modem / router that comes with the package is huge
---------------
How many watts does it consume?
42 watts.
Originally posted by terracore
Anybody with this service using the Zyxel modem/router as a network drive?

You've probably already tried this, but have you checked that the LG TV can read the usb drive when it is plugged directly to the TV? Don't have the Zytel modem, but our LG TV is pretty picky about which USB devices it will read (we use external drives for storing movies, tv shows, music, etc to play directly from the TV)
"Those that went with 300mb.. what is the actual download you are getting? I've struggled for 12 years with 6mb or less. Even 150 would be a major upgrade! On the other hand, living down on Maku'u in HPP, we'll probably never be upgraded... Somebody please tell me I'm wrong! LOL"

Before getting any speed above 100Mbps, make sure your computer has gigabyte ethernet capability, or else it won't be able to use anything above 100 anyway. Of course n/a if you're streaming to a smart TV or have multiple users. Most modern computers have gigabyte capability. Also if you're not using it wireless, you'll need a Cat 5e, Cat 6, or 6A cable. Cat 5 will only run at 100Mbps.

The range is good enough that if you have neighbors, it's conceivable to share internet (and cost).
Current evening gig speed (has been around the average last few days)

site: http://speed.hawaiiantel.net/

download 477.4
upload 96.9
speed to where? hawaiiantels own sight?