Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farmer's Market tarps gone
If the county is looking for permanent business operations that are fire hazards, the folks at Uncle Robert’s should be shaking in their slippa’s....talk about fire traps!
The title of the Thread is "Farmer's Market gone"
Despite everything else said so far, if you just read a couple lines down in the article:

The market plans to remain open; however, vendors will need to provide their own pop-up tents.

So. It's not gone.
Mike Rankin who started the HFM in 1988 recently died in Thailand. The politicians trying to shut him down then routinely went to the market to gland hand for votes.

Harry Kim's motives are pure, he sees danger everywhere. His whole shtick is keeping you safe. I suspect he binge watches disaster movies; then fantasizes it all happening here, while he keeps everyone safe.
the folks at Uncle Robert's

No, that's all "grandfathered", with all the usual special rights and privileges.
What about the market in Kona? It’s got the same kind of “roof”.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Maybe they're next. Or Maku'u.

I'm not understanding how replacing the big tarps with a bunch of little ones satisfies the zoning issue. I also don't understand how these little tarps with waterfalls off of each edge flooding the area could possibly alleviate the electrical issues.

"I think the violation primarily, the most important one, is that he was putting up a permanent business for years and that is definitely a violation," said Kim.

With some minor tweaking this could be the county's new motto.
Rather than "feeling for" the vendors, why doesn't Keith DeLaCruz put the money Keith DeLaCruz has been paid for over 3 decades & really show that he means it when he says; "I love Hilo and I love the people here and I love what I do".
At this point, I see that what he does is collect fees & does NOT reinvest it in Hilo!
Keith DeLaCruz has been toying with a permanent market design for over a decade....
Over a decade ago, there were plans that DeLaCruz paraded to the media, DBA, Envision 2025....
He has strung Hilo & his vendors on, while taking 33yrs of fees & providing little in return for his vendors or the public...
Think of the income the Hilo Farmers Market vendor fees have generated for DeLaCruz with very little overhead supplied for the fees...

Hilo Farmers Market has taken over 3 decades to provide not much more than the "FEMA special" tarps that leak in the Hilo rain. Think of the income generated by the vendor fees over 33 years, yet the main investment has been leaky tarps & a puddle ridden gravel area..
I do not see his lack of action as the proper way to show love for Hilo, the people here, but only a love of what he does -collecting money!
Article today notes that the County has been working with DeLaCruz to resolve, but he has done nothing. Maybe someone else needs to take over the farmers market as it appears he may just be a slumlord. I feel for all those vendors who make the farmers market their livelihood. I see many travel across the island from one farmers markets to another just so they can make ends meet. My heart goes out to the vendors. I would support a go-fund me, but not if the funds went to DeLaCruz.
Stacey
Living the life in Cali and Hawai‘i
Okay once again as I said on the previous page: The market isn't "going to disappear", this is wrong:" "farmer's market gone", and the farmers can "wipe away their tears".

The change will be: Until there's a more permanent roof the vendors will simply have to put up their own tent. Not too terrible.
Having watched the county screw with business people for years on end I think there may well be another side to this story.... from DeLaCruz.

I am personally aware of other plans to develop in that exact area which were essentially thwarted by the county.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator