Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When and WHERE will it pop up next? Guesstimates
A ranger at Yellowstone told me that Hawaii is part of the Ring of Fire, hence our lava situation. I disagreed.
Hawaii is definitely NOT on or near the ring of fire. It sits over a "hot spot" in the Mantle that has been making volcanic islands for many millions of years. The part of the plate on which Hawaii is found is moving to the WNW, and you can see the results of the hot spots handiwork in the existing Hawaiian Islands and even further in the form of Midway Atoll and undersea mounts that have since eroded beneath the waves. If you Google Midway Atoll and switch to Satellite view you can see the ocean bottom contour including the seamounts. Be sure to zoom out to put most of the Pacific in-view from Hawaii to the Aleutian Islands.

Speaking Truth to Lies / Facts to Ignorance
quote:
Originally posted by Open-d

Wherever/whenever the next ERZ eruption occurs, hopefully the County will have had time to complete their condemnation/evacuation/tear-down procedures before it hits. Once the area is cleared out, there will be little or no cause for unpleasant interactions etc., between the county (or hot, chewy lava or toxic gases) and citizens. A classic win-win situation.

Yeah, sure thing. Same deal with a Mauna Loa north rift zone eruption- everyone will be cleared out of Hilo and the town will be torn down [Sad]

I'd imagine an up slope rift eruption of Kilauea would be most likely for the future.

Originally posted by Open-d:
Wherever/whenever the next ERZ eruption occurs, hopefully the County will have had time to complete their condemnation/evacuation/tear-down procedures before it hits. Once the area is cleared out, there will be little or no cause for unpleasant interactions etc.

Let's hope this applies to all locations where people should have known better than to build homes and businesses (as Open-D suggested earlier about the ERZ), such as flood plains (on Kauai and elsewhere), and areas burned to the ground by forest fires.

“What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.” - President Donald J. Trump, 7/25/18
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by Durian Fiend

quote:
Originally posted by Open-d

Wherever/whenever the next ERZ eruption occurs, hopefully the County will have had time to complete their condemnation/evacuation/tear-down procedures before it hits. Once the area is cleared out, there will be little or no cause for unpleasant interactions etc., between the county (or hot, chewy lava or toxic gases) and citizens. A classic win-win situation.

Yeah, sure thing. Same deal with a Mauna Loa north rift zone eruption- everyone will be cleared out of Hilo and the town will be torn down [Sad]

I'd imagine an up slope rift eruption of Kilauea would be most likely for the future.

After calling both the Mayor's and CD offices, I got the distinct impression that both have had a belly-full of this problem, and are more-than-ready to bring this potential disaster-without-an-upside to an end via condemnation. Limited Use seems to be the operative mindset, which I took to mean geothermal, or perhaps Ag.

If you have an opinion one way or another, I suggest you call either or both and express it. The ladies that answered were very nice.

As far as where the next "event" will occur, I agree that it will probably be in the ERZ, but couldn't offer an opinion up or down-slope or sooner/later.

quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

Originally posted by Open-d:
Wherever/whenever the next ERZ eruption occurs, hopefully the County will have had time to complete their condemnation/evacuation/tear-down procedures before it hits. Once the area is cleared out, there will be little or no cause for unpleasant interactions etc.

Let's hope this applies to all locations where people should have known better than to build homes and businesses (as Open-D suggested earlier about the ERZ), such as flood plains (on Kauai and elsewhere), and areas burned to the ground by forest fires.

“What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.” - President Donald J. Trump, 7/25/18

I agree, if you've built a bedroom community in a dry arroyo, it should be condemned and torn down, and the residents establish residence somewhere that isn't a slam-dunk to get scoured out next time it rains up in the mountains.

if you've built a bedroom community in a dry arroyo, it should be condemned and torn down... a slam-dunk to get scoured out

...and if you've built your city on rock and roll, otherwise known as the San Andreas fault, the same logic applies. If it's a slam dunk that the Big One is coming at some point, get people out now. All earthquake zones, flood plains such as Kauai (recently) and New Orleans too.

It's not just the people of Puna who should have known better as you earlier stated, but probably 25% of the US population. Fair is fair. The same standards and requirements should apply across the board.

"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The same standards and requirements should apply across the board.

Just like those building/plumbing/electrical codes, right?
Yes, if you live anywhere there could be a hurricane, tornado, derecho, earthquake, lava flow, flood, tsunami, landslide, riot, wildland fire, sinkhole, lahar, pyroclastic surge, dust storm, plague of locusts, infectious pandemic, or terrorist attack, you should get out now, and the government should take your land in the interest of public safety.

I have no idea where you're all going to go.

Benny
Benny
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

if you've built a bedroom community in a dry arroyo, it should be condemned and torn down... a slam-dunk to get scoured out

...and if you've built your city on rock and roll, otherwise known as the San Andreas fault, the same logic applies. If it's a slam dunk that the Big One is coming at some point, get people out now. All earthquake zones, flood plains such as Kauai (recently) and New Orleans too.

It's not just the people of Puna who should have known better as you earlier stated, but probably 25% of the US population. Fair is fair. The same standards and requirements should apply across the board.

If there are any other similar bedroom communities set up on the flanks or highly active volcanoes in the U.S., then absolutely, move them to safety, not only for their good, but for the safety of others as well. Using a standard such as:

1. Relatively small population
2. Almost nil overall economic contributiony
3. Recurring, hazard that is relatively localized and, therefore, easily avoided

Of course, if it is a large population covering a large area, making a sustained considerable economic contribution or the hazard is large-scale and difficult to assess, well then the positives outweigh the negatives. Each should be analyzed on a case by case basis.

In the case of ERZ, not so many people, very small economic contribution and a very well-identified and bounded hazard zone that can be easily avoided. Slam dunk.

Other areas are too large, have too many people making a large economic contribution, and the area of the threat is large and undefined, not such a slam dunk.

There is very little economic infrastructure in the ERZ, not too many factories, commercial centers, hospitals etc., that aren't easily moved.

A few farms, and they could stay because of their contribution and few number of people, Geothermal, no problem because it HAS to be were the hazard is by its very nature.