Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mauna Loa Observatory - Another CO2 Record
I realize a one day temperature reading is weather not climate, but still.
Posted on Twitter this afternoon by Hawaii Senator Brian Schatz:

HEY THIS IS AN EMERGENCY.
Quote Tweet

Eric Holthaus @EricHolthaus · Jun 7
87°F just south of the Arctic Circle in Finland today.
Folks, you may think that this is not normal and you'd be right

Edited to add:
For comparison, 83 degrees is the high temperature forecast in subtropical Keaau tomorrow, 4 degrees cooler than the Arctic Circle.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
First I want to write that I'm not a climate change (or global warming, whatever the DNC's current buzzword is) denier. My belief is that we do not know if the current climate characteristics are temporary, permanent, caused by mankind's activities, or not.

CO2: Watch this Australian scientist's comparison of CO2 molecules in the atmosphere – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC1l4geSTP8

“...one got it wrong in 1975...”
One advantage I have over you young'ins is that I can remember things you cannot. There were many more publications about the coming Ice Age than the Newsweek edition. As I cannot remember them all, here is a list taken from Longreads:

“Scores of similar articles, some with even more dire predictions of a 'little ice age' to come, appeared during the 1970s in such mainstream publications as Time, Science Digest, The Los Angeles Times, Fortune, The Chicago Tribune, New York Magazine, The New York Times, The Christian Science Monitor, Popular Science, and National Geographic. A worldwide freeze proved irresistible to feature writers prowling for a sexy news peg. 'The media are having a lot of fun with this situation,' observed climatologist J. Murray Mitchell.” – https://longreads.com/2017/04/13/in-1975...sequences/

Re 87 F in Finland: A Swede told me this is because there is an African wind blowing north across Europe. And they're loving it.

I believe the point Paul missed is robustly explained by TomK. I can't quantify the time period predicted in the Newsweek piece. My memory isn't that good.

It's not global warming, it's global government. – meme
Good link Old Croc. Here’s a few more excerpts from the longreads story:

Consequently the suspicion of a cooling world spread among a small number of researchers, but a close look at the data revealed flaws in such a conclusion.
Some years before, scientist Charles David Keeling, measuring the atmosphere from posts atop Mauna Loa and in Antarctica, launched an investigation of changes in the levels of carbon dioxide. By 1965 he had found that CO2 was rapidly increasing. A presidential scientific advisory committee that same year advised that a calamitous rise in temperatures worldwide, from CO2-related emissions, could result.
The study of the world’s climate was still primitive in the 1970s.
Today, with far better technologies and information available, such organizations as the National Academy of Sciences, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the National Climate Assessment, and the American Meteorological Society, to name just a few, have declared that the evidence is strong that human activity is causing climate change and higher atmospheric temperatures. No peer-reviewed article advancing evidence for a cooling world has been published in a reputable scientific publication for decades.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
HOPTE, the cited excerpts are tempered by the Aussie scientist's video. As I wrote, I believe we still don't know enough, because living within a geologic age makes it difficult to predict its future due to mankind's relative short existence.

Old Croc,
Malcolm Roberts, the man in the YouTube video you posted is not a scientist, and has no science degrees. He’s an Australian politition, a member of the One Nation white nationalist party.
"HOPTE, the cited excerpts are tempered by the Aussie scientist's video. As I wrote, I believe we still don't know enough, because living within a geologic age makes it difficult to predict its future due to mankind's relative short existence."

Malcolm Roberts, the guy in the video, is not a scientist. He's an Australian politician, and like all politicians, he lies. He worked for the Galileo Movement which promotes climate change denial conspiracies and is mostly interested in preventing taxes based on carbon output.
HOTPE - we seem to be of the same mind!
we seem to be of the same mind!

Yes, we’re probably searching and writing at a similar pace, since it’s not 1975 with punch cards and room size computers!
As I wrote, I believe we still don't know enough...

Enough for what?

Dude, the climate is changing, human population is growing, we keep dumping our waste into the environment and the temps are going up. What else are you waiting for?
quote:
Originally posted by glinda

Dude, the climate is changing, human population is growing, we keep dumping our waste into the environment and the temps are going up. What else are you waiting for?

Catastrophe... Meaningful change is not going to happen until conditions become so catastrophic that there is no other choice. All governments (nearly) rule with the consent of their population (North Korea and some other countries may arguably be exceptions). Any government that imposed energy or procreation limits on their population that are sufficient to address climate change in the near term, would be removed before those policies could be enforced because most populations are too ignorant of, or too indifferent to, events two or three generations hence to tolerate the needed constraints.

Hawaii is an excellent example of that: our politicians break their arms patting themselves on the back over how green Hawaii is, yet we burn more oil today than we did four decades ago while we have multiple resources that could displace much of that oil use. But a hand full of squawkers can stop new geothermal development; implementation of wind energy; and we are going to go bankrupt paying for base load solar...

Are they going to close the airports to incoming tourists? big oil drain there. Are they going to limit families to one child? not likely; Are they going to limit immigration into the state; can't do that... Near term political gains always outweigh long term security: history is awash in examples...

In our current public opinion driven climate, nothing meaningful can happen until disaster is underway - by which time, it's likely too late for most to survive.