Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kim wants another 2-month TMT delay
So, when are Ige and Kim up for reelection, may I ask?

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Kim's term ends late this year, but he has not indicated if he will run for re-election. Ige is in his second term and cannot seek re-election when it ends in late 2022.
"No Timeframe for TMT construction on Maunakea, Officials Say"

"As an agreement to hold off construction of the Thirty Meter Telescope comes to an end, TMT officials say they don’t have a timeframe for beginning work on Maunakea."

https://bigislandnow.com/2020/02/18/no-t...cials-say/

Of course they have no timeframe. They have already said they will only restart construction when the state is capable of allowing them to do so. That has not happened yet so what else can they say?.
How funny, when I first read the title of this thread I thought, what does Kim Jong-un have to do with TMT? Then I remembered there's another Kim, our Mayor so incredibly ineffective he's almost forgotten.
they will only restart construction when the state is capable of allowing them to do so

Under a future Mayor and Governor, then? Maybe never.
"How funny, when I first read the title of this thread I thought, what does Kim Jong-un have to do with TMT? Then I remembered there's another Kim, our Mayor so incredibly ineffective he's almost forgotten."

He might be, but he's also been put in a very difficult position by Ige. This is a state issue, not a county one, and Ige putting Kim "in charge" of dealing with the issue without any powers to do anything about it is a pathetic show of cowardice and deserting the duties Ige swore to uphold. I can't think of any other way to put it.
"Under a future Mayor and Governor, then? Maybe never."

I strongly suspect that is going to be the case.
Tom I know you've written before that Ige has put Kim in a powerless position however it's difficult to understand how he Ige can usurp Kim's sworn duties such as following the letter of the law and upholding supreme court decisions. If Ige really can leave Kim impotent why does Kim not tell us the truth, tell us in a press release exactly what Ige has done? What does he have to lose?
I can't answer that. It's clear to me that Ige and Kim do not get on so perhaps it's personal. However, this is a state issue, not a county one, so Kim has no powers or authority. As to Kim not telling everyone the position he's been put in, I think he did that and has said he has no power to authorize anything. I'll try and dig a link later and edit this post.

Please bear in mind I am not trying to defend Kim; I'm no fan of his and how he's going about this. He's finding a way to make this just go on and on forever. It his not his job to do this, however, it's Ige's.

ETA: Probably not the best example, but the first I found:

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/201...cess-road/

"UPDATED: Mayor Harry Kim clarified in a statement today that he does not have the authority to intervene or make deals regarding the TMT project.

A news release this afternoon stated that “[Kim] has no authority to intervene or make any kind of deal regarding TMT; his role is to work with all sides to find a better way forward for everyone concerned.”
"
Isn't it Kim's responsibility to make sure the laws on this island are obeyed?
Certainty will be the death of us.