Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post and Pier vs. Concrete Slab
Does anyone know which type of foundation did better in the earthquake? It seems to me that a post and pier might be easier to repair unless the house were to come completely off the foundation.

Mahalo, Mike
Mike,

I believe there is some real good information about what happened historically at the USGS site which talks about earthquakes. From memory I think It shows some pictures, talks about the advantages and tells about your catchement being more stable with recommendation on how they mention it to be built also.

The scary thing also is gas lines from your propane tank. That is what burnt one house down, but think of your house when it does go from that type of an explosion. Toothpicks....scattered all over da place.

Myself I would choose the post and pier. From long timers that I have heard that makes a difference and is a better way for the islands. Many of the reasons have already been stated.

Aloha,
Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheLanai
Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
I have gleaned alot of information people have submitted on this post and the many contributions over in the building forum. I had a chance to talk with my contractor today and together, we have chosen to split the house , partly on slab and partly on post and piew. The reasons were more than just one. I'm disabled and down the road I will need easy access to my house without going up ramps. Also the contour of my lot has a lot to do with the "split" decision. So I'm going to end up with what I hope is the best of both worlds, some concrete, some post and pier. What I have decided after listening to the many ideas people put into these forums is this: Talk with your contractor, talk with people whose advice you trust, look at the lanscape of your land, look at your available funds, and finally look inside your head and heart. After all, it is going to be your home for many years to come, so you should make it the way you feel most comfortable. Aloha and good luck with whatever decision you make, Chili

We get out of life......What we put into it