Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
COVID-19 confirmed in Hawaii: 607+ cases 16 deaths
(08-15-2020, 11:01 AM)TomK Wrote: I've not convinced the argument that 50 children getting infected is sort of good news. I understand what you are saying, it's unlikely they will suffer serious health consequences, but they will be sources of transmission to all their families and friends. It's not as if you can isolate kids from their families.

Yes, very difficult to isolate kids.  I suspect they are getting it from their parents more often than vice versa.  What seems to be going on lately is that more asymptomatic people are being tested and many kids are turning up positive.  Found this quote from a news source dated two weeks ago.  Since then, the number of kids found to be carrying the virus has grown significantly. 

Dr. Scott Miscovich, president and founder of Premier Medical Group said a one-year-old toddler recently tested positive for the disease while testing a family cluster.
“What that’s saying from my perspective is that it’s in the families,” Dr. Miscovich said. “It’s also for me a broad reflection of what I have been saying–what we have been saying. We are not paying enough attention to asymptomatic positives.”  
The DOH’s count shows 170 people below the age of 19 have tested positive for coronavirus, almost a quarter of those cases were found this week.
Miscovich said the spread is likely happening within family members who do not feel sick but are unknowingly spreading the virus.
He said there is also growing evidence that children can spread the virus.
Miscovich said, “Fortunately, they are not dying from it. They are not having serious complications–that is black and white, but they are part of spreading it to families and in Hawaii. What about our kupuna?”
https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/202...t-tracing/

I'm not sure if I am reading this correctly, but to me it appears that the state has hired a new person with a new title to do the work that has not been done satisfactorily (I'm being kind) by Park and Anderson.  At this point in time Park and Anderson will retain their titles and remain on the payroll while a new addition to the payroll will (hopefully) do the work that Park and Anderson were supposed to do but didn't and lied about it.

Perhaps at some point Park and Anderson will actually be removed from their positions, but I'm betting that they will either be promoted or transferred to another position, and neither will lose a single penny in pay, instead of the prosecution that they deserve.
(08-15-2020, 08:54 PM)My 2 cents Wrote: https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/202...t-tracing/

I'm not sure if I am reading this correctly, but to me it appears that the state has hired a new person with a new title to do the work that has not been done satisfactorily (I'm being kind) by Park and Anderson.  At this point in time Park and Anderson will retain their titles and remain on the payroll while a new addition to the payroll will (hopefully) do the work that Park and Anderson were supposed to do but didn't and lied about it.

Perhaps at some point Park and Anderson will actually be removed from their positions, but I'm betting that they will either be promoted or transferred to another position, and neither will lose a single penny in pay, instead of the prosecution that they deserve.

Well, apparently we need help at the dumps.  Keaau was supposed to have the scrap metal open about a month ago. Every time I go there, that bin is blocked. They must need more drivers. Bins are often overflowing.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
A teacher on the mainland has set up a spreadsheet to track COVID-19 cases in schools.  Here’s the Hawaii page:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e...8u9KF_LlgI#

This is the main page.  S/he’s looking for help from someone in Hawaii:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e...8u9KF_LlgI

A teacher, who presumably does not have “contact tracing” on her/his list of job qualifications or duties did this.  Not a federal government employee.  Not a state department of health worker.  Imagine that.
WARNING
The Trump Administration is now touting the use of oleander extract in the treatment of COVID-19.
Oleander is a common landscape plant in Hawaii and IS EXTREMELY TOXIC.  it can kill you.  Do not ingest.
Clorox injections.  UV light suppositories.  Deadly plants.  Why does this keep happening, repeatedly?  Are we in a knockoff version of Stupid Groundhog Day (the Bill Murray movie)?
Do you have a link? I don't want to get into a Trump debate given it's so off-topic here, but I would like to be able to confirm the story.
Don't worry, found it. It came from Ben Carson and the MyPillow guy. Sigh.
The requirements for contact tracer seem excessive. Pretty sure anyone with a good attitude, basic reasoning skills, and a script could do the job from home after some training. Additionally utilize a Shipt type service for delivering to and randomly checking up on the quarantined.
They already spent Federal bailout funds to train 450 contact tracers. Training was finished last month.
I've seen some posts here that suggest to me contact tracing isn't really understood, or perhaps I have it wrong. In any case, it's clear the state is not doing well when it comes to contact tracing.

A contact tracer's job is to find out who a person with COVID-19 has come into contact with and then contact those people to let them know and suggest they isolate. Now, my guess is that's either an easy job or an extremely difficult one depending on each case. If someone with COVID only came into contact with a couple of people, then it's relatively easy. Then it could get more complicated if those two people, who the tracer has found and contacted, say they've been in contact with several other people. Then it becomes difficult. Then imagine someone with COVID who went to a party with dozens or hundreds of people. Now it becomes almost impossible for the tracker.

What's clear is that the number of tracers that are actually active is too few to make a difference. But I wouldn't put a further burden on them by having them track other county or state's numbers or having them involved in checking if people are quarantined. Surely that's someone else's job? If it isn't, then clearly the trackers' responsibilities are not almost impossible, but outright impossible. Add the fact that COVID tests can take a week to come back if you're deemed low priority (who makes that decision?) then it's no surprise the number of infections is increasing at the rate it is.

And don't get me started on Ige's indecisiveness. It's almost criminal in my opinion.