Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resort Bubble?
I seem to recall "live-in employees" being mentioned in passing (eg, the resort operator saying there's plenty of extra space for this). Wristbands were discussed, tamper-proof so guests can't leave them behind as with a phone.

The "film production bubble" for Temptation Island had planned to quarantine their entire cast and crew for the duration. Economic impact estimated at $15M, but "the community" expressed their "concerns" and now that production will likely go elsewhere. Then again, $15M is pocket change compared to tourism, hardly even worth bothering, right?
"They plan on making the employees live at resort if they want a job."

The phrase "slave labor" comes to mind.
I was thinking sharecroppers....
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
"I guess resident employees would have to be considered in quarantine the entire duration of this scheme since they'd be repeatedly exposed to quarantined travelers."

Not only that, they would also have to quarantine for another 2 weeks when they went home. Probably the same for the tourists, depending on where home is.

These covid bubbles sound like the place to go if you want to get infected. Hard to imagine anyone spending any time at all there without catching it.
"They plan on making the employees live at resort if they want a job."

Not really different than cruise ship employees. Most of them send all their money back to their homelands and getting room and board paid for is considered part of their compensation.

(Nobody said that any locals would work in the bubble).

Almost all the Alaska seafood is processed by foreigners with work visas. The locals don't want to work in those conditions.
(Nobody said that any locals would work in the bubble).

Excellent point. In fact, the resort would probably have to import foreign (read: below minimum-wage) workers to offset the overhead on bubble maintenance while offering a cheap enough rate to attract tourists to the bubble.
After which Oahu will keep all the TAT to pay for rail and raises.
In a rare moment of prescience, even Harry Kim has doubts about the resort bubble concept:

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/08/25...tine-plan/
CDC dropped recommendation for 14 day quarantine with travel internationally or domestic. Instead, take common sense precautions such as wear mask when you can't distance, avoid large gatherings, etc.
(08-26-2020, 07:36 PM)Durian Fiend Wrote: CDC dropped recommendation for 14 day quarantine with travel internationally or domestic. Instead, take common sense precautions such as wear mask when you can't distance, avoid large gatherings, etc.

Don’t think Europe feels the same way.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
(08-25-2020, 06:20 AM)kalianna Wrote: ...Store employees don't want to spread the virus to friends and family.  If they're sick, they'll stay home (I think).  Tourists, with a lot of money invested in their little bubble vacations, are not going to let a little sore throat keep them from going on their Hawaiian adventure.

I don't understand how people can continue to think like this. You can have the virus and not have any symptoms, that is you won't feel sick or have a sore throat, and still pass the virus on to others. Asymptomatic. It's a thing.