Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii Restaurant Cash Card Program
https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/offici...evocation/

“Monday morning, we received a list of approximately 1,000 businesses that were rejected with rejected Hawaii Restaurant Card transactions over the weekend. And this included rejected transactions for 52 cardholders who try to use their card at Costco on Oahu, Maui, and Kauai,”

Just a rumor, yet so plausible, exactly the kind of fail I would expect.

Maybe next time.
The rumor is going strong over on Facebook Big Island Thieves group.

I got banned from there because I pointed out that the moderators don't ever moderate anything.

They sit back and let rumors turn into false news.
I should have caught this one.

Costco doesn't accept Mastercard...
The rumor is going strong over on Facebook Big Island Thieves group.
... the moderators don't ever moderate anything

Big Island Thieves is not what I would call the most trusted site in local news and information.   A few days ago someone took a picture of a Hamakua stream that's down to a trickle and suggested "the haole" building a house nearby had diverted all the water.  Even though no one could see where he might have taken the water.  Some were all set to grab some rope and saddle up the horses, until a rare voice of sanity pointed out - - it's been dry.  The stream has less water when it doesn't rain.
I want to be banned from Big Island Thieves too!
(10-21-2020, 11:21 PM)SBH Wrote: I want to be banned from Big Island Thieves too!
 Tell Vernon Demello he's doing a crappy job moderating.

Right now he and TK are leading the charge with the false postings about Costco accepting the restaurant cash card. (They aren't because the card is only good at restaurants.)
Update on the Restaurant Card, it's only good in restaurants.  At least social media rumor mongers didn't claim Hawaii was building the TMT with Restaurant Cards.  On second thought, I probably shouldn't give them (social media commentators) any ideas.

Contrary to rumors on social media, Hawaii’s recently rolled out restaurant cards for the unemployed can’t be used for things other than a good meal.

The $500 restaurant cards for the unemployed are incapable of being spent at stores like Costco, officials said. Rumors have circulated about people using the cards to purchase TVs.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/10/22...staurants/
I did see something on tv news a couple of days ago, don't remember what channel, about the cards being sold for cash. They were making a big stink about it, not transferable, blah de blah. Sounds more plausible. No details on how much, I assume cut rate.

I don't see how this would be a problem. Perhaps the people it is supposed to be helping would benefit more by getting half the value in cash. The restaurants still receive full value. Where"s the harm?
The cards are issued with a name on them.

The restaurant is responsible for checking the ID of the person presenting the card.
What is the incentive for the restaurant manager to tell customers "no" and lose the sale?

I know, rules are rules, but I still see more upside than downside to this one being broken.

Of course there needs to be a task force formed to make sure the rules will be followed. That would be an upside for "someone".