Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sears in Hilo to close
"3. Safeway's real estate unit proposed a shopping complex across from Hilo HPM. The shopping complex was slated to be anchored by Lowe's, but the project fell apart. Safeway sold their real estate division in 2014."

I remember that. Petco was one of the stores that was lined up to be in that mall. When that fell through they eventually started looking elsewhere and wound up where they are now. Reportedly the shopping complex deal fell through because Lowes backed out and another anchor couldn't be found.
I'm expecting a Lowe's in Shipman's New Keeau. It should provide a pleasant shopping experience for the as-yet-unborn future generations.
New Keaau. Conveniently located just across the highway from Keaau.
Conveniently located just across the highway

Fear not! No expense will be spared for new intersections, traffic lights.
... new intersections, traffic lights.

"This new Shipman Shopping Center traffic light stays red forever.  What gives?  I was driving to Hilo but, oh well, rather than sit here waiting I'll just use the handy specially designed half mile long right turn lane directly into the shopping center main entrance, for all the dakine stuff I need.  I never have to circle around looking for a space in their 13,000 acre parking lot either.”
Not about Sears...but on the same subject. Lenders have moved to foreclose on Kaahumanu Center in Kahalui Maui,  and Kings Court Mall in Waikaloa. This is no doubt due to the pandemic and lack of tourists.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news...Jo1fNfBYMY
Indirectly related to Hawaii (if we follow in their footsteps, Hawaii could suffer same fate), Krogers is closing stores in California and Washington after cities there passed hazard pay laws for grocery workers: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/...azard-pay/
(02-18-2021, 01:34 AM)terracore Wrote: Indirectly related to Hawaii (if we follow in their footsteps, Hawaii could suffer same fate)

Guarantee its coming. Aside from the economic downturn that will not be coming back for at least a decade. The living wage for entry level jobs will put a lot more out of work. The only people that need to worry are the workers who are not diligent workers willing to stay an extra half hour, show up late and take long breaks.

Its going to put a lot of extra stress on those who remained employed.
the workers who are not diligent

Union government employees need not worry, their jobs are protected from furlough/layoff by generous Federal bailout money and settlements from drug companies.
I was in Sears today and the remaining tools have been re-priced to their original prices and advertised as 25% off that price.

The 2 snow blowers are still available.