Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kaleo's In Orchidland
"Bite the Eye has applied for a liquor license for a location near Ainaloa Blvd and Highway 130."

I can't picture any commercial space in this area. Anyone know the area where this will be?
I thought the same thing. There is that huge area where a bunch of farmer stands have moved in. There is a permanent building being constructed behind one of them (looks like a house so far) but there is another huge lot that was just cleared and fenced.
"I don't know any OLE residents who oppose new restaurants or other businesses down there."

The original plan for a restaurant and farmer's market was well received, but there were plenty of people at the meetings concerned about whether alcohol would be served. But that was in 2008. Perhaps the disposition of the community has changed since then. I guess we will see. '
For a lot of restaurants all the profit is on the bar side of the house. Selling alcohol puts downward pressure on the menu price. I worked at a corporate chain and they priced their menu at most locations at "break even" to maximize traffic. Most drinks can be prepared and served in under a minute. As one manager put it, "when the bar is busy it's easier than printing money". If traffic started waning they would wheel out the free appetizers during happy hour with a couple of radio spots. There's no better menu price than free. Of course, that's illegal in Hawaii.
Lunch special today.

https://www.facebook.com/135773539783584...9250378968
https://www.facebook.com/Kaleos-Bar-and-...3539783584

"Coming soon....Kaleo's in Orchidland. Stay tuned. #kaleosbarandgrill #orchidlandKaleos
Follow us on Instagram @kaleos_barandgrill for updates."

In the comments section they clarified it will be similar menu to the Pahoa location, so apparently no bland Asian food.
It will be great to have a better restaurant in that area, with a large population base nearby in HPP, Ainaloa, Orchidland, etc. It makes me wonder if the Pahoa one will continue? It's so depressing to go to old Pahoa town anymore. I know Leslie owns that building and property, so for her to take on a lease somewhere else is interesting. Time will tell. Lower Puna tourism (vacation rentals that aren't allowed anymore for the most part) and all of us pre-lava flow residents from Kapoho and Leilani were a big part of her base.
I noticed they were open today !
Went to Kaleo's on Orchidland Drive for breakfast. They open at 8:00 AM on Sundays. Only 4 breakfast offerings but it was good.
Different menu than Pahoa with more appetizers and fewer full meals.
Very open and bright.

Kind of breezy today so they closed most of the garage doors.
Passed Kaleos Orchidland @1:30ish; they had some cars but green doors shut on roadside. My husband went in to see if and when they are open, 3 employees looked up and hustled backstage. We went to Pahoa: Closed. I called pahoa the day before Thanksgiving for takeout, they said they were closed. What is the deal?