Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Seen any good movies lately?
some low rent director

Horror, camp, and low low budget monster films are in a unique category.  If made cheap enough they almost always turn a profit.  They dependably get your heart pumping and adrenaline surging, without a great script or great acting, or great sets.  They give audiences a cheap thrill, a buzz, and for teenagers on a date a girl may grab her significant he/she/they when the monster, alien, or creepy dude jumps up out of nowhere.

These flicks are generally made by low rent directors as Rob noted, but some famous movie makers got their start on shoestring budgets, for instance:

John Carpenter (Halloween, Escape From...): His first film Dark Star was made for $60,000. The monster was a modified beach ball.  For a slight Hawaii angle there's a space surfing scene too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwISbJfRNz0

Peter Bogdanovich (Last Picture Show): He directed Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Woman by splicing together clips from an old Russian sci-fi flick with new footage of prehistoric woman on Venus.  Half interplanetary travel, half cheesecake. The budget is only listed as "extremely low."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yUHTkhMhjg
(02-05-2022, 02:27 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: some low rent director

Horror, camp, and low low budget monster films are in a unique category.  

How about that "horror" film they made at Green Lake before the lava took it?

I never made it to Green Lake myself, so this "movie" is all I've seen of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxftv_hLX-8
Just finished watching "The Black Godfather" on Netflix. This is the 2019 documentary, not the movie from 1974.

Really interesting. It's about Clarence Avant, an icon in the black music/entertainment industry. I had never heard of him, but knew just about every artist he was involved with... which was just about everybody.
If you like westerns you should try Godless on Netflix. It's kinda got it all. Strong women characters and a great battle scene at the end.
Godless was good, as was Hell on Wheels.
The most recent season of Fargo was pretty entertaining.
The Lawless (1950)
Directed by Joseph Losey

Film noir about a young man who through a series of unfortunate circumstances goes on the run from townfolk turned vigilantes.  

Best line I’ve heard in a long time:

“See that white line over there?  If I was the sheriff, which I ain’t, ‘cause I’ve never been lazy enough to work for the county, I’d hike right along it, to the river.”
That is a good line. What platform?
What platform?

Criterion Channel.  Unfortunately that particular movie will not be available after tonight.  
Want to watch a feel-good movie that is true and won awards?  On Netflix, "My Octopus Teacher"  It's such an amazing story.