Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazon S-L-O-W shipping
(05-20-2023, 11:59 PM)randomq Wrote: Terracore, let me know if you can order the "Onn Google TV" device to be shipped here. It's one that shows in stock elsewhere, but not here (for me). I'd pay the surcharge for some items if it were an option.

It shows it as being in stock at the Hilo walmart now, but it doesn't allow for any type of online ordering.  I'm wondering if it's one of the items that is locked up and has to be purchased in person to discourage arbitrage buying.  Some items are weird that way, it used to be for new release video games, and sometimes movie DVDs where there were more buyers than items and the employees aren't even allowed to buy them.  Of course now most video games are digital purchases that are downloaded.
Yesterday I ordered stuff from Target at about 11am. I got a UPS tracking number about an hour later. The UPS guy dropped it off 24 hours after that. That has to be the most "mainland style" free shipping experience I've ever experienced.

My gut says, "enjoy it while it lasts".

Meanwhile, the in-stock boots I ordered from Amazon on April 18th still have no shipping date forecast. It's June.
Terracore, thanks for the heads up. Yeah that one was a little different, but their are dozens of items I've looked up that are fake "out of stock" for Hawaii. I don't intend to renew Prime or Walmart+.

I'll have to check out the Target shipping. If it works I may finally get one of their cards for the cash back.
I looked into canceling prime, because there is no tangible benefit in Hawaii since most people can wait and meet the ordering threshold required to quality for "free shipping" without it, but when I crunched the numbers, it actually made more sense to keep it if using the Prime Visa. If one orders $3500 or more of Amazon stuff per year, the extra 4% in cash back pays for the Prime membership. Similar to the difference in the Costco 'basic' and 'executive' membership, there is a threshold where it makes sense to have it.

But at the rate my Amazon orders are shrinking, I don't know how long we'll maintain that threshold. I do occasionally watch a series on Prime video, but I could sign up for a single month of Prime for $13 and binge a year's worth of shows in a month if I wanted to.

But the Amazon folks are always trying to find ways to keep their prime noose on our necks:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-ta...03089.html

"Amazon Is in Talks to Offer Free Mobile Service to US Prime Members"
I'm at my place in Ohio and ordered a cover for my smokeless firepit.
It was Friday about 5 PM and they promised delivery on Sunday.

I got a message that the delivery would be by USPS and I laughed because they don't deliver on Sunday.

It was in my rural roadside mailbox at 4:00 PM.
I don't use Amazon Prime as much as some others on the forum do to get things shipped here. Where I find it useful is for gifting mainland relatives and friends birthdays and at Christmas. The time I don't have to spend looking for parking, waiting to check out, gift wrapping, and then standing in line at the post office, FedEx, or UPS makes the yearly fee worthwhile.
Amazon Prime keeps telling me (former member) about one month memberships so if you only use it seasonally, that might be an option.
Certainty will be the death of us.
(06-19-2023, 12:32 AM)Obie Wrote: I'm at my place in Ohio and ordered a cover for my smokeless firepit.
It was Friday about 5 PM and they promised delivery on Sunday.

I got a message that the delivery would be by USPS and I laughed because they don't deliver on Sunday.

It was in my rural roadside mailbox at 4:00 PM.

In some areas the USPS bid on Amazon's Sunday delivery contract.  The USPS delivers Express Mail on Sundays, so it makes sense that if they have more delivery people than express mail deliveries, they would deliver on Sundays.

Related anecdote:  When I lived in Alaska I ordered some canned haggis from the UK.  I didn't pay extra for Sunday delivery but that is how the international delivery worked out.  Somebody called me "from the USPS office" that Sunday and said they had an international Sunday package for me, and I could come pick it up.  Since I wasn't having a haggis emergency I said no thanks, I'll get it with my regular delivery.  

About an hour later, somebody was at my house delivering it.  And then it dawned on me that they had to deliver it, they only offered for me to "come and get it" because they were trying to save a trip out to my house.  It was a small town, the "delivery" or "come and get it" person was a contract carrier, not a USPS employee.
(06-19-2023, 03:04 AM)Punaperson Wrote: I don't use Amazon Prime as much as some others on the forum do to get things shipped here.  Where I find it useful is for gifting mainland relatives and friends birthdays and at Christmas.  The time I don't have to spend looking for parking, waiting to check out, gift wrapping, and then standing in line at  the post office, FedEx, or UPS makes the yearly fee worthwhile.

This is a good point. Lately though I've been using Walmart same-day delivery for mainland gifting. Not quite the variety of Amazon, but you can send gifts, refrigerated snacks, and flowers all in one delivery.
USPS trucks all over the place on Sundays . even @10 pm in the hood. The drivers call it Amazon Sunday.