Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meeting and Petition for Pesky Helicopters
I agree that flight path is as important as altitude when tour flights are conducted. I've been dismayed to experience two repetitions of the overflight of my lot by the Blue Hawaiian Eco-Star again on Friday 10/12 at 2:52 PM, and Saturday 10/13 at 2:40 PM. Evidently this is the same scheduled flight originating (I believe) in Kona and conducted by the same pilot. Altitude again likely under 500' AGL, and course bringing the machine over and about 200' east and west of my location respectively on the three occasions I've been on the lot in clear weather. I suspect this individual will make this a clear day (weather's been gorgeous) routine. This kind of behavior suggests a certain indifference to the concerns of the FF community on the part of the pilot. It really makes little sense to me that this character feels it necessary to be so low when he has over four miles to continue a descent from a cruise altitude before reaching the vent. I imagine that he'd alter his approach if he simply took the time to consider the possible consequences to Blue Hawaiian's future operating options and viability as the business that puts bread on his table.

To clarify for those who were asking, the "Nelson" corridor is the relatively open area between Eden Roc and Fern Forest, also known as Kopua Farm Lots I believe. It's essentially behind Mountain View elementary and runs south from there toward Pu'u O'o, providing a channel air tours can traverse enroute to the vent with minimum disturbance to residents. As I recall when I flew my last tour in 2002 there was some building going on there, and it may not now be quite as open and undeveloped as it was at that time.

quote:
To clarify for those who were asking, the "Nelson" corridor is the relatively open area between Eden Roc and Fern Forest, also known as Kopua Farm Lots I believe. It's essentially behind Mountain View elementary and runs south from there toward Pu'u O'o, providing a channel air tours can traverse enroute to the vent with minimum disturbance to residents. As I recall when I flew my last tour in 2002 there was some building going on there, and it may not now be quite as open and undeveloped as it was at that time.

Thank you Seekir for this information. Do you know where I could find the Nelson Corridor information in a written statement?

Mahalo,

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
I'm not aware of any formal/official documentation of the Nelson corridor's location or usage. I learned of its existence when I began flying tours in the late nineties from other pilots, and was given a handout from one of them with a description of favored flight paths that pilots were advised to take. As I recall operators used the corridor to limit community objection to overflights. There was an understanding that doing so when transitioning to the vent from the north and back to Hilo would reduce friction and cause minimal delays to the flight, so most tours not taking the highway route toward Ainaloa used the corridor if weather permitted. Transitioning over residential areas in Puna outside of the corridor was not condoned by operators who recognize the need for noise abatement, though as I've mentioned pilots are essentially free to make their own choices once airborne, and doing so with sufficient altitude was perfectly legal (but not necessarily a great idea).

Thanks to everyone again,the meeting was very productive.The valueable input from the meeting will be put to good use.

Also,about the pilots having complete free choice once airborne,that is not exactly true.I have confirmed that the Real Estate book does contain the fact that we do own our airspace,that is why the Park charges 25 for every entry.Also,the gov.is really in charge of the airspace,and it is unfortunate that pilots forget that;one reason is that it is difficult to prove they are in non-compliance.Also,the pilots are very aware of that fact.Too bad they lack common courtesy.And the FAA is a joke.It is up to us to preserve our rights,wildlife and National Parks,etc....
We need our voices now,Akaka is on the subcommittee for National Parks and other favorable conditions exist right now for us to make a difference.

Most people live here for their PRIVACY and the beauty of Hawaii.Well,all of that is violated every time they fly over and video, without consent,then sell it !!!

For those who want to submit evidence anonymous you can by mail,and the internet petition http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/savethequiethawaii (Please sign the paper petition though,if you can.)

Also,there are some other important angles being reserached,like property owners addressing the "material defect" of their property from these unmonitored overflights.

More meetings are in the works and we will keep you posted.

THANKS AGAIN

P.S, there were numerous flights over Mountain View Gym during the meeting .Just thought that was important to disclose.

Bob,it is an old English law still on the books.A friend is suppose to email me the info.I will post it as soon as I get it.

Thanks Bob for clearing that up.That is good to know.

I have not researched those definitions with the FAA since they have failed to even finalize on of 107 plans,in 7 years ! When I talk to them they seem only interested in safety and altitude issues.However,to backtrack to the real estate angle angle again,there is some discusssion going on about financial impacts on property owners from the over flights

Please keep those thinking caps on ,we need all of the help and input we can get from everyone.

Oh,Bob,I will definitely check out that other angle,thanks again

Also,the FAA did tell me that aircraft are not suppose to go over buildings.I will call em back and ask where they get that and their rules of evidence

Edited by - thunderfoot on 10/15/2007 11:57:19
I went to the meeting last Sunday,it was excellent.Look forward to the next one.

so much....and so little time
so much....and so little time