Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna Loses Again: Puna 0 Hilo 4
quote:
Originally posted by james weatherford

Get positive or get out.

Isn't that the exact same philosophy the County is applying to the people of the Puna District?
James,

Bill 276 is a legitimate issue and I fail to see how raising it is inappropriate. It's hard to read it as attack, attack, attack. This is an election forum and I have expectation that issues that affect Puna can get discussed thoroughly.

While I await a repsonse from Emily's office on the subject perhaps you could share your opinion of Bill 276 and it's failure to pass.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator

This is personal attack, attack, attack:
"... her CRF's go to... her district... she brought ..."

Furthermore, it is counterproductive mud slinging and has nothing to say about issues. It has a lot to say about the candidate slinging the mud -- and mud always gets splattered where it is not intended.

Bill 276? Not informed enough to say and not going to make it up (which has nothing to do with my still finding negative personal attacks repulsive and disgusting).

I would like to know what all of the Council candidates have to say about it -- that would certainly educate me.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
... "bringing up Bill 276" (or any other matter now or likely to be on the Council's agenda) is clearly not what I object to.

Let us also bring up Resolution 551-08 -- which, by my estimation, is this Council's single largest issue and, by the way, our Council member did what was right in 5-4 vote.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
DrW, how are we supposed to get positive after our elected councilperson refused to allow us to vote for a second advocate for Puna in the county?
Mabe she is trying to save the county money on salaries?
Mabe not enough council chairs(the sit on kind)?
Mabe she doesn't like even numbers?
(please note, all positive, all possible!)
Gordon J Tilley
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Orts

quote:
Originally posted by james weatherford

Get positive or get out.

Isn't that the exact same philosophy the County is applying to the people of the Puna District?

Bob, please forgive my dull nature and inability to understand you point.
Who is "the County"? and, precisely, how are "they" applying this philosophy?

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
I have talked about Bill 276 to some other council members who expressed their disappointment that it failed by one vote. A comment was made by one that Emily just doesn't understand complex issues. I have heard that before from other council members on other issues.

It concerns me. It may be that this is not correct. Perhaps she understands the implications perfectly well. To that end I have asked her office to provide the rationale.

I have also invited Emily Naeole to the Punaweb Election Forum. No sign of her or her staff yet. It is their choice - certainly not a requirement.

Perhaps James, you could go positive for her here and list her accomplishments for the district. I would appreciate it. Why not launch a topic titled Emily Naeole's Accomplishments?
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by gtill

DrW, how are we supposed to get positive after our elected councilperson refused to allow us to vote for a second advocate for Puna in the county?
Mabe she is trying to save the county money on salaries?
Mabe not enough council chairs(the sit on kind)?
Mabe she doesn't like even numbers?
(please note, all positive!)

gtill,
If you or anyone else is going to go negative each and every time a council member does anything you don't like, your days will all be gray and angry.
Was the vote right? I don't know. If a citizen or citizens feel it was wrong, challenge that vote and demand an explanation. Fair enough. But, get off it with the personal attacks.

The need to be "positive" was clearly and explicitly addressed to CANDIDATES (although a positive outlook on life for anyone has been proven to be healthier for all concerned).

A viable CANDIDATE has innovative and positive ideas of their own to offer.
Other CANDIDATES just use negative attacks.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
Rob,

Your approach is what I call decent and worthy of respect from me, and from the Council member.
If you or anyone else are prepared to approach this or any other issue in such a decent manner and are committed to your beliefs, never ever give up.
We all are better off. Just as personal attacks make us all worse off.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
DrW, If this last vote costs Puna a seat in the council, what is there to be positive about? Or are we supposed to be just thankful we get to pay our taxes and stay here, but shut up unless it's endorsed by an all knowing Academic.
Gordon J Tilley