Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill 326: a ban on plastic bags - Acting Mayor
I don't think you got it, I have been doing road and trail cleanups for about 20 years.... it was never demeaning.

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
Of course its not. But I promise you if someone who can't pay the fine is forced to pick up litter, You will hear "you can't do that, its demeaning" I've seen it. somehow a good honest job, when some idiot is forced to do it, becomes beneath their dignity. Course it wasn't beneath their dignity to throw trash all over. The purpose of the jump suits is to draw attention to why the moron is out their in the first place and differentiate them from the road workers and genuine civic volunteers cleaning up after idiots

dick wilson
dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
http://www.greenecoservices.com/the-high...-taxpayer/ Very informative article, California has $1,000 fine, and their projected cleanup costs are staggering! It would be interesting to know what the stats are for the Hawaii taxpayer! Also, the littering fine is $300 here, exactly how many tickets were issued for littering in 2007 or so far this year? As far as I can see, this is low priority issue, for the State and County. We can pass laws, problems are still there. This is an environmental issue that should be taught in schools from 1st grade on, reach the children, it is the only way to break this cycle.
You never say the pink jumpsuits are for anything other then safety... [Wink]

LOL... my understanding is that Hawaii does not teach much of anything in its schools...

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
Perhaps I didn't make lain that calling pink jump suits a safety issue was intended as humor. sorry. Still think morons who litter need to be held accountable. Litter has to be made just unacceptable, in the schools, at home, wherever the reduction of litter can be engendered.

dick wilson
dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
"Big Island veto attempt fails on plastic bag ban."

"Big Island plastic shopping bag ban lacks votes for veto override"

-------
General Election Unofficial Poll
Good it failed, that was a lousy bill, and I suspect a general election (except for Puna) it would fail.

No I don't like litter, but if you look at the vast majority of the visible stuff, it'll be stufff that never made it home, "fast food" kine. Mabe a tax incentive for 0 plastic use in all their orders. So far the best I've seen is Taco Bell. Right down to wooden Sporks. Even offer free Ads for them as exemplary businesses, as others follow suit, they get their names on the ad. No business wants another to get a leg up.
Gordon J Tilley
Maybe the remedy for the plastic bag problem is to follow Ireland's lead and impose a tax (ex. 50 cents) on each bag, it would have to be high enough to make people think twice about using the plastic. (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/30/opinion/30tue4.html?th&emc=th) this makes more sense than an outright ban on plastic bags at this time and using the tax for environmental issues, would boost the county funding of the recycling programs!