Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill 189 restricts water use in times of need.
Okay, I took the plunge and registered.

Can we put a meter on the water?

I agree with Loren, way too many unanswered questions in this bill. Not well thought out for long term repercutions, or costs. To the tax paying base, or individual user. As all things in gonvernment seem to be. Needs a serious look at.

But the term "punishment" comes from what people have said to us. As a candidate, my husband keeps asking people what they want, and how they feel. And that is what a candidate/elected official should follow, right?

Loren Baker
Loren Baker
baker4puna.com
Oops, computer illiterate Heidi Baker here. I registered, and it said I could post. Did so without logging Loren out and me in. In case that last posting was a little confusing, this is why.

HEIDI Baker (apparently under Loren's name once again.)

Loren Baker
Loren Baker
baker4puna.com
You are all just barely beginning to explore the issue of water on the Big Island.

Here's a basic question for you. The investment for water wells comes from the state. How many wells does Waimea have? How many wells does Hilo have? How many wells does Kona have? How many wells does Puna have?

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator

Punaweb moderator
Kathy,
We may get what we for paid when we buy in Puna (with eyes wide open I might add), but we are still paying for services via our property taxes that we do not receive, but that urban dwellers do receive. We paid over $4000 in property taxes last year while the Kona based slumlord who owns the place behind us paid less than $600 because 3 of the 4 units were built without permits. When we appealed our taxes the county assessor stated that all homes are taxed using a per square foot formula. Your taxes were based on that formula when you bought it and still are. They are only adjusting for lower parket values when people appeal, and even then the formula is trumping actual market value.

And what the county is proposing and you seem to be defending, is absolutely rationing, rationing that doesn't take into consideration different sizes and needs of households. 55 gallons per day per household isn't much for the drinking and cooking and washing dishes if you have 6 or 8 people in your household, and having people make daily trips instead of weekly due to having to haul smaller containers is just senseless.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Rob, good question. What are the answers? Or do you know where the answers can be found?

Loren Baker
Loren Baker
baker4puna.com
Basic count:
N&S Kohala - 13
N&S Kona - 14
Hilo town - 8
Puna - 10

Here's the map link:
http://www.co.hawaii.hi.us/general_plan_...er_dws.jpg
Thanks, Bob Orts. You are well informed, and I would enjoy speaking with you if possible.

BTW, on a much brighter note, IT'S RAINING!!!

Loren Baker
Loren Baker
baker4puna.com
FYI, this Bill ONLY pertains to a declared emergency under Civil Defense. That means where a large population of the people are suffering and need help. Earthquakes, tsunamis, lava flow, hurricanes, etc are examples. This is not a general water usage Bill and has no weight and is not effective unless an emergency is declared.

I'm hoping that if an earthquake hit, people homes were destroyed, water systems were disrupted, and the citizens of Puna District are suffering, that we'll rise above the "politics" and agree that rationing in such an emergency is the right thing for ALL the people.

This Bill is only about a state of emergency provision, under the Civil Defense codes, regarding water spigots.

And, let me add this. If a person is against this Bill, I expect them to also be equally aginst gouging laws during declared emergencies for other items like gasoline!
Kathy,
I did not say the square footage was the only basis, but from what the assessor said at our appeals hearing it is used as a floor below which they will not drop, even if market value is lower than that. So we are still paying taxes on a much higher valuation than the price we paid, by over 50 grand. The appeals panel's attitude was pretty much one of "You got a good deal, now go away".

Regardless of the original back room deals that were cut when Puna's subdivisions were created as a land scam, people in those subdivisions TODAY pay a disproportionate share of taxes compared to what services are received, all services (water, roads, fire protection, police services, access to social services) are less out here but there sure isn't an exemption for unserviced subdivisions. I have no expectation that we will EVER have county water or roads, but decent police protection in proportion to the population would be nice.

I would like to point out that the water you are talking about people buying comes from those same county wells, and if rationing is instituted then that option will probably be limited, so limiting people to 55 gallons a day per household without taking family size into account is not sensible or humane.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Kathy,

You said: "You cannot be entitled to services the County never agreed to provide in exchange for taxes."

Consider this point....

You can still be taxed for them though even if you do not and did not receive them. There is a measurable flow of taxes. There is a measurable flow of services.

Hilo has long had trouble understanding why the other districts might complain. It is not obvious to Hilo because Hilo has all the lovely services like water, parks, tennis courts, paved roads etc. that they feel they need. What is missing from Hilo's perspective is that to accomplish this Hilo has been systematically draining the other districts for cash for fifty years.

It is measurable.

It was not true so much as a territory. The habitual gleening of the other districts began at statehood and continues to this day.

The only rationale I can think of to ration water would be of there was actually an extreme water shortage. Since Puna has a massive aquifer of high quality water shortage is unlikely.

Punaweb moderator