Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new code, No permit required
The risks associated with building without a permit are directly related to your location. I suppose that I am stating the obvious.
lquade, there is no stipulation in the new code restricting 120 or 600 s.f. structures on ag land to less than 6' in height. That was then, this is now. The accessory structure can't have plumbing or electrical or it gets into needing a permit.
It's true. Call the building department to confirm (tip, Kona side answers almost every time. I've been waiting for a call back on an unrelated matter from three people in the Hilo division for almost two weeks. Crazy how much more efficient the Kona side is...).

It's considered the accessory building clause and it only is effective if you already have a residential structure built and permitted on your land, so don't get any ideas that you're free to bypass permitting all together on a raw lot... Not just for 120' though, it's up to 600' on ag lands. Be sure you'll be in compliance before you commit to anything. There's bound to be some strings attached.

"(18) One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed a) 120 square feet; b) does not exceed 600 square feet for agricultural zoned lands. (Building cannot be located within building setback as required by the Zoning, Chapter 25 of Hawaii County Code. Verify setback requirements with the Planning Department)."
Melissa Fletcher