Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another coqui frog thread
Paul. I know the scale works... I just don't like bringing in ANY pest whatsoever, that is about as of a bright idea as the mongoose. Scale is already a horrible pest in the citrus industry. So, do you suppose we will then be forced to treat the citrus with something else when the scale starts attacking the citrus?

I do not personally perceive strawberry guava as any more of an invasive species than regular guavas or many gingers. A better solution in my mind is to harvest/remove trees and use the wood and fruit in a creative manner. I actually like the strawberry guava, we grab them daily as we are on our walks around Honoli'i and Pauka'a. There, it is the regular guavas are much more abundant and have many more seeds and wasted fruit... which we know attracts the rats and pigs and birds who spread them.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
Devany, the scale will NOT attack the citrus, or anything else, because if it did, they wouldn't release it! Fifteen years of research isn't enough to convince you?

The next time you drive south on H130, towards Pahoa, take a look to your right at the strawberry guava choking the forest. It's so thick it's almost a hedge. That's Hawaii's future. Good luck removing that by hand.
Why don't they just pay someone to take it (strawberry guava) out and do something creative with it? Sorry, no amount of research is going to convince me it is a good idea to bring in a pest. Where did they do this testing? Come on... in a real world environment what are these things going to feed on after they have destroyed the strawberry guava? I think the wood of the trees is beautiful and the fruit is far more flavorful than regular guavas. Even if it just used as firewood it is still better than bringing another invasive pest into our islands. I say there is a better way. And it is probably more cost efficient in the long run.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Please take 5 minutes to read this, especially the FAQs:

http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/programs/ipif/s...trol.shtml

Nothing can be more cost-effective than bio control, you just release it and off they go.

Should Hawaii be at the mercy of every accidentally introduced species?
Biocontrol is sometimes the only option.
No way Paul.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Garter Snakes.

I think the next time I am on the mainland I may capture a few hundred and turn them loose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garter_snake
quote:
Originally posted by Obie

Garter Snakes.

I think the next time I am on the mainland I may capture a few hundred and turn them loose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garter_snake

NOT NICE!

Funny is as funny does! Or something like that - ask Forrest!