Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another coqui frog thread
Yeah, not dormant ... quiet, loss of sex drive, something.

Oddly, baking soda failed me. I mean I caught a frog and dumped baking soda all over it. The frog was fine. Maybe I have mutant coquis.
I am doing small scale spraying now. and I ran out of citric acid, but have found that ammonia works great. Parsons ammonia in a hand sprayer, just wastes them.
In a pinch I've picked up the Windex Lime or counter cleaner and it works pretty well too. I figure Lime has a citric element.
I got tired of mixing up the citric acid and also my gallon sprayer broke, and I haven't replaced it, so I was improvising, but I think the ammonia works way better and it's already in solution, no shaking, doesn't clog a sprayer.
The baking soda works, but it takes a while.
I heard that coquis are a very powerful e.d. cure. Perhaps a few specialty eating establishments could add them to the menu as aphridesiac (don't make fun of my spelling, I'm at the credit union for pete's sake!) and just sell the heck out of them untill they become a coveted commodity and sought after like fresh made cookies! Send this to all of your coqui loving friends and neighbors so that the word can get out and all the frog hunters will have a reward for their efforts. [Big Grin]
Perhaps they will catch on in Japan and the shark fins can survive for a few more seasons. LOL

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
hmm? they're liking daylight now. the sun hasn't even set and i hear chirping. teriyaki coqui? nah, i'll pass.

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

"Jen, that is because it is an arid and vegetation starved place. No rain: No Plants: No Coqui! They like it wet and lush."

Funny Devany, Actually a lot of the southern end of the island is very lush and green. I have wild ferns and haven't watered my orchids in over a year, they are blooming beautifully.
The trick is to be between the lava flows. It's not as humid or wet as Puna, but it is far from "arid and vegetation starved".
Plus, the question was where are there no coqui.
Aloha,

Jen
California/Hawaii
Well there is a way to eliminate THEM.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8319467.stm

Problem is it might take OTHERS with THEM.

A link to THEM!

http://www.hear.org/AlienSpeciesInHawaii...index.html

Naht say I - to not utter their name - lest I give more substance to their worth - begone vile Salientia!
Good! (well, bad for the frogs of the world in general). It gives hope that there may one day be a way of controlling the coqui plague.
We live in the lowlands in Puna. We tried, in a neighborhood effort about 4-5 years ago to get a few small areas with the county sprayers. Time after time. Gave up. Goqui are imported on vehicles, so there kept being more and more places where we heard coqui infestations. The first areas that we had sprayed kept increasing in size. The number of areas multiplied over the years. In the end, it is impossible. I will not poison the ground or the other beings that inhabit it any more. Because it is impossible. I loved the relative silence that used to be around the house at night, but I#699;ve just gotten used to the coqui sounds, because in my mind, there is no alternative and I am not going to drive myself crazy by not accepting it for the moment. I just hope they cannot live up the mountain where there are native birds that they would be competing for the same insects that native birds depend on. The whole idea that they can live way up in Volcano is kind of disturbing. And they live through the winter? Have there been any surveys or studies done by scientists in the park re this?
I was out destroying coquis tonight, it was an afrogalypse for those in my yard.
Strangely though, I later found a coqui in my house and a few minutes after that our cat caught one on the lanai. Coquis invading the house! Even though I keep them under control.
I can't imagine what it must be like for people who try to ignore them. Or were they just fighting back?