Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helicopter Flights Over Hawaii Petition
I still suffer with life in Illinois, so it wasn't news here, sorry. Did it happen from 1500 feet at 30+ mph over jungle, mountains, or fiery pits of lava? ;-)

comin' your way soon!
comin' your way soon!
"3,000' over Puna wins all else being equal". well stated MarkP. how do we make that happen?

"I wonder if somebody put something so crass, so obscene, so emotionally disturbing on their property large enough and only visible from helicopter altitude, if it would cause a shift in the flight paths?"

Forgive me if I've mentioned this earlier -- can't recall -- but about 15 years ago or so, there was an interesting couple with an interesting roof down on A-(or maybe B?)-street in HPP. In absolutely-enormous high-contrast letters, they painted "HELICOPTERS CRASH" on their roof.

Brilliant!!

Most folks in the neighborhood never knew about the roof, though everyone did indeed benefit! Immensely! (Thanks guys! From all of us at the time! Not sure if you're still around, but you know who you are! I'm guessing there are others elsewhere who've followed your lead.)
Just because a helicopter loses engine power doesn't mean it can't be landed safely. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorotation_(helicopter)
I signed it. I live in Leilani and one of the best features here is the peace and quiet and I'd like to keep it that way.
Wendy M Foley
quote:
Originally posted by Frank

"3,000' over Puna wins all else being equal". well stated MarkP. how do we make that happen?

Same way we make a universal 25 mph speed limit happen.
quote:
Originally posted by MarkP

quote:
Originally posted by Frank

Same way we make a universal 25 mph speed limit happen.

You mean "do nothing", and just wait for the congestion?

I still say variable surcharge based on flight path and altitude. If it's worth extra $$$ to the tourists who want to buzz my house, great, I'll take a property tax credit.
FWIW, for all the Punafolks complaining about helicopters, I moved to Pearl City on Oahu two months ago and the helicopter noise is VASTLY worse here than it ever was when I lived in Hawaiian Acres. Combine military flights between Schofield/Wheeler and Kaneohe (which use much larger and louder helis than tour operators) with utility flights due to a number of power lines crossing the Koolaus in the vicinity, and it's often hard to talk on the phone or listen to music. If they're flying above 1000 ft, it's just barely.
Wow, they really DO have "everything" on Oahu.
Two helicopters flew low over our house this morning at 7 am, wtf! One dark red, one dark green.